“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Digital EditingEditing programs of choice.

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software and other resources.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Editing programs of choice.

Postby Onslow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:15 am

Up until November 2012, my editing program of choice was Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop. I had my file system and shoots all organised so I could find particular images ok. I then bought an Epson 3880. I soon discovered the joys (not) of printing using photoshop. I visit a forum called "The Luminous Landscape" and several of the people there strongly pushed Lightroom for printing as well as keywording metadata.
I bit the bullet spent a solid three weeks getting used to the quirks of LR. Whilst the interface is completely different to what I was used to with Bridge, I found once I understood the ideas behind the interface, it grew on me. LR, Bridge, ACR, are all interchangeable. Changes in Bridge or ACR will be reflected in LR and vise versa when setup.
However, the printing side is a complete no brainer. Getting used to the idea of presets has now enabled me to do one button priniting knowing that all of the setting for particular papers, sizes, rendering intents are all wrapped up in one button. It really is a dream now.
The other advantage is the keywording. This is done for individual as well as groups of images. Whilst this is available in Bridge, the usability in LR is far superior. The filtering really does enable me to drill down and find images in seconds instead of wading through them in Bridge.
I also now convert my images to DNG format on import. The advantage of this for me is that when I apply the camera profile, it is written to the dng and becomes permanently embedded in the dng. This can avoid the problem of missing profiles which has happened to me in the past.
I also use some plugins to assist and automate my exporting of files to my Zenfolio and Facebook accounts.
Most of my work is now done in LR. There are occasions when a trip to PS is required for my portrait retouches and some landscape work, however, now I would say that 95% of my work is now LR specific.

So, out of interest, what is your editing program and why?

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Editing programs of choice.

Postby TomCofer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:26 am

Since it started being included with the Photoshop CC subscription, I've been starting out in Lightroom. I use it for organizing and sorting my shots and the initial edits to them. I still tend to do most of my editing in Photoshop. I find myself dropping back to Bridge from time to time for some tasks too. I think that's because I haven't made the time commetment to learning Lightroom that John has. Well, that and my instinctual resistance to change.

In Photoshop, there are some plug-ins that I've become attached to and use quite often. Most of them are from Topaz. I know there are some others out there that will do some of the jobs better, but I've found when it comes to cost vs. getting the job done, they are some of best. They include: Adjust, BW Effects, DeNoise, Detail, and ReMask. It would have been cheaper to buy all the Topaz filters as a bundle, but I chose to buy them as I could to or as I needed them. I tend to start with a preset that comes close and make adjustments to it from there when needed.

For their purpose, there are a couple of free programs that I think are noteworthy.
ShiftN - does a decent job of straightening up lines in buildings and such.
http://www.shiftn.de/

AutoHDR - is a bit slow but does a decent job with HDR and psudo-HDR
http://www.autohdr.co.uk/

For those who don't want to make a subscription commetment on Photoshop, there's GIMP. It isn't Photoshop but it's free. If you spend the time to learn it, it can accomplish a lot.
http://www.gimp.org/
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:06 am

My software workflow begins and ends with Lightroom. I love the flexibility LR offers in organizing and tracking images. As Onslow mentioned, the keywording feature, the ease of filtering and the breeze of presets makes LR a very powerful tool. I am also on the CC subscription plan so I have Photoshop at my disposal (I don't really use bridge) and will access PS through LR as needed.

The great thing about Adobe products are the vast number of third party programs that link seamlessly. Google's library of free editing software (Nik) are only a click away. While I don't use them too often, they are there for when I do need them, in particular Silver Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex. The same goes for many HDR programs out there. My go to programs are Photomatix and SNS-HDR, both accessible through LR.

Once I am done editing an image, because they are all parsed from LR, they end up back in my LR catalog and I can do any additional edits or just export from there. LR handles all my formatting and watermarking with my export presets.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 pm

L/R is a nice programme, but a bad introduction a few years ago where making LRCAT's for differing shoots got confusing. So I only keep one catalogue and filter by naming convention.
ed davis

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm thinking...

I use Lightroom a lot, but I frequently find myself falling back to Bridge or just going into Photoshop. I think this is largely because I just haven't learned my way around Lightroom to the point where I can stop using Bridge and reduce my Photoshop time. Frequent stops while using LR to figure out or do a search to learn "How do I ... in Lightroom?" seems to take up too much time and effort.

Perhaps, Duck, John, or one of our other members who have a solid working knowledge with LR could give us a video tutorial walk thru from start to finish? (!)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 pm

I would love to do some instructional videos but I have not put any time into learning what software/hardware is needed. I'll ask Bobby for some help in this as he's made some videos in the past.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby WesternGuy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:01 am

I'm with Onslow for the most part. I have been using Lightroom ever since version 3 came out (I used Elements prior to that). The indexing and overall data asset management components of the Library module are just great. I can get most, if not all of my editing done in the Develop module. I also use Nik's software plugins, most notably Viveza 2, Color Efex 4, Silver Efex Pro 4 and HDR Efex Pro 2 (for HDR conversions). I am currently learning how to use the latest version of on1's Perfect Photo Suite 9. I have Photoshop CS 6, but the only reason I find to use it is to put text on my slides if I am preparing a presentation that requires text on an image. Lightroom 6 will be out (they say) in about a month and will only run on 64 bit machines, at least under Windows, so I can hardly wait to see what else comes with it. I am hoping they have enabled it to use a graphics processor as Photoshop does for most of the heavy graphics stuff.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

Return to “Digital Editing”