Image ProcessingThree Versions, Same Picture

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Three Versions, Same Picture

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:52 am

davechinn wrote:Chuck, I don't see or find anything wrong with the three you posted. However, my personal favorite of the three is the second one. I prefer the placement of the added seagull and your chosen position. The fog/mist is a must for the drama that was handed to you.

I hardly ever concern myself with what I see in an image once captured. I almost always post process to my desire and usually lean towards the dramatic effect. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not, but I never concern myself with what I saw. So, I'm not a SOOC photographer either. Usually, it's what is presented in front of me that determines my direction and my mood at the time of processing, because I can process the same image on different days with different results based on MOOD FOR THE DAY !!!
Dave
St3v3M wrote:I'm torn with this one, but as always I revert to What's The Story You Want To Tell? Is it the cold bleak day, or something else?

I can tell you which I like but what matters is what you like, and maybe why! This was a fun exercise, thank you for adding this! S-

Dave and Steve, thank you, and I believe I have now come around to thinking that the foggier version is the best on account of it being closer to the reality. By training and temperament I'm inclined to want to render a version of what I thought I saw in my mind's eye. So what was the story I wanted to tell? I think it was that I was a little disappointed to not get the setting sun I wanted so I arm wrestled it where I hoped it might have looked had the furshlugginer fog not rolled in (and we lived in coastal northern California for 30 years so you'd think we'd 'a expected it duh). If I had made this exact picture 20 years ago I would have had to settle for whatever, especially in color (in B&W you could use a harder paper and do Ansel Adams-y manipulations but that was very, very difficult if not impossible in color). Thanks to all things digital it is now possible to darn near change the weather. I don't have the skills but I know that it can be done. What I did, except for relocating seagulls, was all in Lightroom and really pretty simple jiggery of sliders. In a way that ability is a two-edged weapon: as we all know, all sorts of fakery is not not only possible, but routine. ;) But the more I look at the punched-up version the less I like it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Dave and Steve, thank you, and I believe I have now come around to thinking that the foggier version is the best on account of it being closer to the reality. By training and temperament I'm inclined to want to render a version of what I thought I saw in my mind's eye. So what was the story I wanted to tell? ...

This has been a fascinating study in What Is Possible versus The Story You Want To Tell. Thank for adding this, it gives us so much to think about! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"