"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Image ProcessingRotating an image.... PS CC Centric

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software, hardware and other resources. Chemical or digital.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
English_Wolf
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Rotating an image.... PS CC Centric

Postby English_Wolf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 pm

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, if not, simply delete this post.

When there is a need to rotate an image at a specific angle I use the crop tool w/o ratio (original).

It is easier than the blind waltz required when using PS CC rotate canvas.

Resharpening needs to be one after the crop/rotation.
When I think, the world ends. :o

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: Rotating an image.... PS CC Centric

Postby Duck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 pm

English_Wolf wrote:I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, if not, simply delete this post.

When there is a need to rotate an image at a specific angle I use the crop tool w/o ratio (original).

It is easier than the blind waltz required when using PS CC rotate canvas.

Resharpening needs to be one after the crop/rotation.

There is a difference between rotate image and rotate canvas. The 'canvas' is the allotted physical space an image occupies. Think of it as the piece of paper the photo will be printed on. The ''image then is the photo that will eventually be represented on the paper, or canvas. When I do illustration work I will often Rotate (R) the canvas to facilitate my arm movement, much like I would rotate a piece of paper on my drawing table to facilitate my arm movement there. When I rotate the canvas, by default, the image rotates along with it.

If I need to rotate just a layer the easiest is with the Transform tool (Ctrl/Cmd + T). This allows me to rotate, scale and skew the layer similar, but not exactly, to the Crop/Rotate tool. This technique maintains the original size and orientation of the canvas. Think of it like physically rotating one part of the image but not the paper or the rest of the image.

If I need to rotate the entire image (i.e. correct crooked horizon) the Crop/Rotate tool is best. This allows you to rotate the image but maintain the aspect ratio of the canvas as the borders will auto adjust to stay within the image frame. That's the default. If you need to expand outside the image frame simply grab the sides or corners of the crop frame guides and adjust accordingly. Use Shft +Ctrl/Cmd keys to apply constraints or Alt to modify from crop frame center. This can be tricky as PS will add canvas space to areas outside the original image's limits (i.e. the corners) as it rotates or expands. Content aware helps here. It takes some getting used to in order to maintain the original aspect ratios and borders. Just make sure you do not have "Delete Cropped Pixels" selected or you will loose the ability to undo your changes.

The final way to rotate is with the Image / Image Rotation menu. There are the traditional defaults of 180° and 90° left and right along with vertical and horizontal flips. You can also enter a numeric value using the 'Arbitrary...' function. This will maintain the integrity of the original image by increasing canvas space and filling in the corners with empty pixels. This will also change your aspect ratio to satisfy the needs of the new image size.

As far as sharpening goes, that should be done at the end, after you've resized and resampled your image. By default the act of reducing image size will increase sharpness and contrasts.

Hope this is the information you were looking for.

! Message from: Duck
Moved your post to the Digital Editing section as it deals with post processing questions.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImage

English_Wolf
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby English_Wolf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

I am aware of the difference. PS CC is far from being intuitive when it comes to rotation. Also, in the end one needs to crop and resharpen so, I just cut to the chase.

When I need to rotate a single layer I just use 'move'

That maybe just me but I hate skinning a cat for longer than necessary.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 pm

English_Wolf wrote:When I need to rotate a single layer I just use 'move'

I don't think I am understanding. Do you have a question? To me move infers shifting laterally left/right, up/down without any rotation.
I also don't get the reference to "blind waltz" in your original post. What are you trying to achieve?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImage

English_Wolf
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby English_Wolf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:46 pm

We maybe using different terminology.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:33 am

I don't have Photoshop but get the reference and appreciate you sharing this. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Image Processing”