"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Image ProcessingBuild your own "Sliding-Box" Cameras

JamesRKyle
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Build your own "Sliding-Box" Cameras

Post by JamesRKyle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Recently, I have built three "Sliding-Box" Cameras. I wish to know if anyone here has done so?

The experiments that I have been doing with Photographic-Paper as Film in view cameras, led me to design and build the "sliding-box" cameras. These are Not really traditional cameras, as they are built about ideas I have had and modern materials used = i.e. Lenses and Film Holders. It was more of a work of love for photography. (something that I have been doing for over 55 years.) And too = I just wanted a camera that I made from plain wood and extra parts.

I began with a 3X4 Speed Graphic focal plane spring back - (where the ground glass is held, and where the film holder would go). The lens I used was a 127 mm lens from the old Speed Graphic camera that was beyond repair - ( Later changed this with a lens from 1901 by Busch & Lomb that had a pneumatic shutter system).

The Next was a 4X5 - And as for the "ground glass" I used Plexiglas with frosted tape on it to make a focusing area like a "ground-glass" (don't knock it - as It Works).

The photographs are of the finished cameras.... More details later If Anyone Wishes To Have.

Please know that there are NO "plans" for the building of these... The Idea are in my mind and just came into reality by just Doing IT. (I do have a few sketches from my notebook I will share.

I have attached photographs for everyone's understanding of "what and how" ....

Questions are encouraged.

James.

12_B-C_P1000154.jpg
Sliding-Box 3x4 Model #1
33_P1000196.jpg
Sliding-Box 4X5 Model #2
26_P1000190.jpg
Model #2 Rear View
27_P1000189.jpg
Model #2 Focal Plane
P1000277.jpg
Sliding-Box 8X10 Model#3
P1000280.jpg
Model #3 - Rear View

JamesRKyle
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by JamesRKyle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:50 pm

I forgot to include the Photos of a step by Step of the build....

I will try to attach a [PDF] of the build of Model #1 and Model #2......

OOPS!!!!!

This site is NOT letting me do that :-(

Well ... If anyone wishes to have the [PDF] just let me know - I can figure "something else" to do to get them to you.

James..

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Welcome Friend! It's good to have you here. I know you have a lot to offer, and hope you'll share some images, some feedback, and tell the group a little about yourself.

I'm intrigued with the idea of making a camera even if I never do it myself. I once took a notion to try a simple pinhole camera but the project didn't end well. We have members more adept at DIY than I am.

As for not being able to attach the PDF, I'll explore what the possibilities are. I have not tried, so haven't run into this particular road block. Let me do a little research. This could potentially be of interest to others of us in the future.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi James! I have zero mechanical aptitude so I am in awe of your vision and abilities :) Welcome to the forum!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi, James, and Welcome Home! :) I'm sure no one has to tell you that hand built cameras like yours are older than photography, and they look just like yours! You've done some gorgeous work on the instruments themselves, never mind their utility. From what you said you are still making pictures using photo paper as "film." We'll be looking forward to seeing some! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am

Hey James, it's wonderful to see you again and have you here!

Wow your cameras are amazing. Do you sell them or are they a personal project? I'm in awe of these, just beautiful!

I'm looking forward to more, especially the images you make with these handmade beauties!

Thank you again and Welcome Home! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

JamesRKyle
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by JamesRKyle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm

First off... Thank You ALL for the welcome to this site.

I do hope to be of help to others who wish to know - not only about the "Paper Negative Experiments" but anything that I might know to help to anyone.

I have made a redesign of Model #1 Sliding-Box Camera. Photos attached to this......

I did not care for my original design and I went for a more traditional design - I do think that it is better. ((Naming this one "3X4 Sliding-Box Camera Model #1-A"))

And These are NOT for sale - One reason is that I really do not have the time to build for other people - The other reason is that these are extremely simple to build yourself with simple hand tools and some thinking.

-0-
Attachments
C_DSC1727_Mod-1A.jpg
C_DSC1726_Mod-1A.jpg
C_DSC1725_Mod-1A.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm

JamesRKyle wrote:...
I have made a redesign of Model #1 Sliding-Box Camera. Photos attached to this......

I did not care for my original design and I went for a more traditional design - I do think that it is better. ((Naming this one "3X4 Sliding-Box Camera Model #1-A"))
...-

I love the beauty in the simplicity of how you've made this one. It looks museum ready but here it is newly made. Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

JamesRKyle
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by JamesRKyle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 am

The First Test Results are in:

See attachments.

-0-
Attachments
SB_8X10 -001_POS_Post.jpg
SB_4x5 -001_POS_Post.jpg
SB_3x4005_POS_Post.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 pm

JamesRKyle wrote:The First Test Results are in:

See attachments.

-0-

Thanks for sharing. I'm duly impressed at what you've managed to invent here. The ultimate photographer's DIY endeavor - a camera built from scratch.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones