"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Image ProcessingFall Color, Single Leaf, Before and After

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software, hardware and other resources. Chemical or digital.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Fall Color, Single Leaf, Before and After

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 am

Any sort of gentle CC is welcome! I figured this belonged in editing since it's a before and after shot. I actually got up and outta the house wit' my Kidz to one of the last Farm Markets of the season. I couldn't find much that inspired me but you know me and back light, so I saw this and zeroed in on it. The first one is the jpeg from the completely raw straight-out-of-camera original. It's full frame, uncropped (I usually shoot everything at 4:3). But what I SAW is the second one, which has been worked only in Lightroom, the new one (upgraded yesterday) but not using any of the newest kewl tools, just doin' what I've pretty much always done. In this case I pulled both the highlight and shadow sliders all the way down. I wanted max detail in the brightest highlights and the shadows very dark so as to, um, highlight the highlights. (By the way, the upgrade is definitely much faster! :yay: )
Attachments
DSC00252.EMlr-2.jpg
DSC00252.EMlr.jpg
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Fall Color, Single Leaf, Before and After

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:09 am

For me, a great job of interpreting magnificent golden autumn light. Backlighting is almost always my first choice too!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:11 am

good job Chuck - is beautiful.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:35 pm

LindaShorey wrote:For me, a great job of interpreting magnificent golden autumn light. Backlighting is almost always my first choice too!

PietFrancke wrote:good job Chuck - is beautiful.

Thanks, Linda and Piet! "There is no light like back light." :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Very well done Chuck, really nice image....I might suggest darkening the grey blue to match the rest below the lower leaf about 5 o'clock.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Very well done Chuck, really nice image....I might suggest darkening the grey blue to match the rest below the lower leaf about 5 o'clock.

Hunh! Thanks, Frank. I never noticed that. I'll have to get after it. I suspect the reason it's not uniform is that it may not be sky. There was other stuff in the background. It went so far out of focus it's impossible to tell, but looking at the untouched raw I see a greenish shape in there that I guess blended with the blue and changed its value. :thanks:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 am

The processed image is beautifully done, sharp where it needs to be and soft emphasizing that in front of it. The blue and the gold are compliments and all the shadows add to the depth you feel in this. I love what you've done here and wonder if you've considered a top-down square crop? Beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:34 pm

St3v3M wrote:The processed image is beautifully done, sharp where it needs to be and soft emphasizing that in front of it. The blue and the gold are compliments and all the shadows add to the depth you feel in this. I love what you've done here and wonder if you've considered a top-down square crop? Beautiful! S-

Thank you ,Steve! I had not thought about a square crop but it would work. I shot so much square for so many years that I often really like it.

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm

With prior review by Chuck, I have permission to upload my rendition of his image. The changes are very subtle because I created a mask that only affected the lower leaf, then upped the color and vibrance to closely match the luminance of the upper one.
Attachments
CharlesHaacker_BeforeAndAfter_Edited.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:With prior review by Chuck, I have permission to upload my rendition of his image. The changes are very subtle because I created a mask that only affected the lower leaf, then upped the color and vibrance to closely match the luminance of the upper one.

Thanks again, Bob. I really like it and wish I'd thought of it. Next time! :D

Return to “Image Processing”