"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Image ProcessingJPG to PSD

jamesstewart1

JPG to PSD

Post by jamesstewart1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 am

Hello,

How can i convert JPG into PSD ? is it possible if yes, how ?

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Steven G Webb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 am

PSD being an Adobe file, open the JPEG in Photoshop (or I suppose Lightroom) and use the Save As (File/Save As) function and select PSD from the drop down menu in File Types.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:PSD being an Adobe file, open the JPEG in Photoshop (or I suppose Lightroom) and use the Save As (File/Save As) function and select PSD from the drop down menu in File Types.

Yes, you can also export a jpeg as a PSD from Lightroom. Some other programs support saving as a PSD as well, On1 for example.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Google says JPG into PSD

Welcome to the site! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:32 am

Hi James, welcome to photoMENTORIS.

I'll go ahead and ask the obvious question as I know others are curious but probably too polite to ask... why?

PSD is a Photoshop file and one that is not easily viewed outside of editing software. What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can shed some light for you.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Duck wrote:Hi James, welcome to photoMENTORIS.

I'll go ahead and ask the obvious question as I know others are curious but probably too polite to ask... why?

PSD is a Photoshop file and one that is not easily viewed outside of editing software. What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can shed some light for you.

For what it's worth (not much!), I save files that I have worked in Photoshop as PSD, as opposed to TIFF. My workflow for almost 3 years now has always begun in Lightroom, and I'd say better than 85% stays there. I am shooting raw now, but prior to 2015 everything I shot was jpeg. I was perfectly content with jpeg and can attest that jpegs respond very well to treatment in Lightroom unless overexposed. But when a file needs something that LR either doesn't do well or at all, I will send it to Photoshop (I have the Creative Cloud now). Regardless whether the original file is raw or jpeg, when I save whatever I have done in Photoshop I save it as a PSD (Photo Shop Document). I always save all the layers so that anything I did I can go back and rejigger. Now, I could save as TIFF, but TIFF files are noticeably bigger than PSD's, and I haven't heard that TIFF's are better than PSD's, so...

But Duck, you have a point with your question: Why PSD? Since in order to show the work online or in print it has to be converted (mostly) to jpeg, the reason I do it is only to preserve all the layers I may have made in Photoshop. The saved PSD goes back into Lightroom, and occasionally I will make an additional LR tweak on it, but the final output (in my case) is always going to be a jpeg. (See? Toldya 'twasn't worth much. :| )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:For what it's worth (not much!), I save files that I have worked in Photoshop as PSD, as opposed to TIFF. [...] I always save all the layers so that anything I did I can go back and rejigger.

Yes, this is standard workflow for many of us. What got me was the OP's wording, "converting," that has me questioning him. If he had said, "save as," there'd be no question. Because of his wording it implies that he is looking to change from one format to another which leads to all sorts of questions. :?

Hopefully he replies. :pop:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 pm

I wonder if he meant pdf instead of psd? That's actually how my aging brain first read the title, lol.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I wonder if he meant pdf instead of psd? That's actually how my aging brain first read the title, lol.

Good point. Could be. James Stewart (OP) has not replied so we gotta wait...
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|