"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Image ProcessingPrinting at home...

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software, hardware and other resources. Chemical or digital.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Printing at home...

Postby Didereaux » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Since there is no specific forum for printing I thought maybe this came closest to being approprite for the topic. A few weeks ago I acquired a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer. Prior to this i had been sending off all of my printing to various places, mostly Adoramapix (since the last couple years they have been putting out some nice work at reasonable prices). But the wife is retiring next year and has decided that what she would like (us) to do then is attend a few Art fairs and such and maybe sell some of our work. she is especially interested in producing high end greeting cards featuring our birds.

In researching this I quickly learned that finding different papers and printers to produce them in small quantities so you could evaluate them was VERY expensive. Finished cards running on average ~$2/per. So I went paper shopping, and printer shopping. Paper was easiest as Red River Paper is the hands down favorite paper fine printing now, and they have a huge library of vids and info supporting almost all the top printers including profiles for them of all their papers.

Next came the printer. Epson has a big following,they are all pigment based printers...but they are expensive. The close second in the pro lines is the Canon Pixma series at about 20% cheaper. They have one the pro 100 that is dye based, and the 10 and 1 each are pigment based. After digging through the 20 feet of pure BS that has the real accurate info on any printer you find that the pigment based get their reputation based solely upon the fact that they produce the higher quality huge prints...I'm talking 30x60 and up. They also require an extra cratridge to apply a smoother ontop of the pigments in order to produvce better looking prints. Big con with them is that they plug all to often, and from comments it isn't a fun process cleaning them, Worse if it goes to long (say you don't print or run a cleaning cycle for 3 months or so) then you get to replace the head...that costs almost as much as a new printer.

Dye-based has its problems as well, but mostly with which papers work the best with it. Fortunately RR Papers I believe all are dye base good to go. It is particularly attractive, and outshines the pigments by far whne you print on the newer metallic papers. RR Pearl Metallic is simply outstanding!

The Pixma Pro-100 has 8 ink cartridges @~$17/per ouch. But Re River did some extensive tests on the Canons and Epsons to find true(real life) ink consumption and the Pro 100 worked out to be about 37cents/5x7. If you print 200 8x10 you will use up all the tanks. So $124/200 is about 70cents.

THe Pro-100 will print upto 13x19 (actual field tests have shown you can print 13x26) it can print canvas and other stock as well as CD.s. I have printed 4 or 5 canvas now and they are without a doubt as good as any I have had done or seen done from the labs. Canvas sheets run about $3/per Really high end Barya papers such as Hannemuhle will run you about $2+/per for the 13x19 although RR has just come out with a Barya that reviewers say is the Hannemuhle equal.

True BW is easily achieved on the Barya papers.

The learning curve to produce top end prints is steep. Be prepared to use at least two full sets of cartridges if you plan on print a wide range of papers and canvas. Thee workflow is critical , and just hitting print doesn't do well. Each of the mfrs has an OEM print manager and you are well advised to use it. The Canon one plays well with all Adobe products, but is still a bugbear to get the right settings for all the sizes and types of paper. There are no shortcuts. If you are only going to print a very narrow.limited scope of papers and types then the learning and set up is not too bad at all.

One last note the Canon printers all came with FULLY loaded standard cartridges, something no other mfr does. So there is some saving on the get go. If you plan on printing archival quality FORGET about third party cheapo inks! Period. Stick with OEM inks.

Will gladly answer any questions you might have about this particular printer. I have no hands on with any other modern ink-jet.
Last edited by Didereaux on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Re: Printing at home...

Postby Didereaux » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Patched together a couple of shots to show where all the chaos resides and the disasters occur!
The Pixma Pro-100 is behind the chair (left side of picture on bench) Large black squarish object. Weighed in at around 68lb...you don't go tossing that sucker around with ease. :D

There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 am

I've printed a few at home and a few through Costco but it would be interesting to learn more. Thank you for sharing this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Interesting post. Wish I"d read it before I got my Epson R3000, but that's water under my bridge, so I gotta make peace with it! I print up to 13x19 on it, but have not tried the rolls to do larger, it isn't worth it for my small volume and I'm just learning about the ins and outs of printing and matte-cutting anyway. I recently got a grant award to pursue a particular project that will require significant printing and I'll have to decide whether to get enough expertise to do it myself, or hire it out.

Like you, I use Red River papers almost exclusively, mixed with a few Epson papers. I"m experimenting with some of the Red River and Epson art papers to see what, if anything, I like. I've been fairly successful with color printing but black and white prints I find more challenging to get what I want out of.

Thank you for sharing your journey, and your workspace. Mine is just as "full" and almost as image-laden, gotta get in there today and try to make some order of my chaos.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 pm

minniev wrote:Interesting post. Wish I"d read it before I got my Epson R3000, but that's water under my bridge, so I gotta make peace with it! I print up to 13x19 on it, but have not tried the rolls to do larger, it isn't worth it for my small volume and I'm just learning about the ins and outs of printing and matte-cutting anyway. I recently got a grant award to pursue a particular project that will require significant printing and I'll have to decide whether to get enough expertise to do it myself, or hire it out.

Like you, I use Red River papers almost exclusively, mixed with a few Epson papers. I"m experimenting with some of the Red River and Epson art papers to see what, if anything, I like. I've been fairly successful with color printing but black and white prints I find more challenging to get what I want out of.

Thank you for sharing your journey, and your workspace. Mine is just as "full" and almost as image-laden, gotta get in there today and try to make some order of my chaos.

Like you BW was a bit of a problem at first. But what I eventually found was that the pearl Lustre and metallic when printed with color management settings were set to color and not BW produced beautiful absolute BW . Canon has both Black and Lt Gray cartridges and I think that comes into play as the Lt Gray is mostly used to produce wide spectrum colors so in BW printed color that Lt Gray probably adds a layer of luminance in there somewhere, Only a theory, it works that's enough for me at the moment. The images were of course stripped of all color if any existed. Most had Silver FX somewhere in the process. This is probably only a peculiarity of Canon dye printers, but maybe not.

For some really good info on both Epson and Canon printers look up Jose Rodriquez on YouTube What he knows and does is impressive....old guy with an obsession for color printing.

Good luck on your project....ain't grants nice....when you can get them? :cheers:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Didereaux wrote:...
For some really good info on both Epson and Canon printers look up Jose Rodriquez on YouTube What he knows and does is impressive....old guy with an obsession for color printing.

Jose Rodriguez https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Image Processing”