Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Image Processingmy get-started workflow

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

my get-started workflow

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:25 pm

I open the raw captured image in bridge and in this case, I increase exposure, lower highlights, and lift shadows.

Highlights processing: If it is a highlight, (getting sun), then using camera raw and a luminosity mask for the highlights, I increase texture, contrast, and warmth.

Shadow processing: If it is in the shadows and dark, I create a luminosity mask for the darks and left texture alone (sometimes this is a good place for noise reduction), I move the tints to greens and slide temperature to the cooler side. And I lower contrast.

Near processing: If it is close (the foreground in this instance), Using camera raw and a near mask, I increase contrast and warmth.

Far processing: For the trees that are behind the house, Using camera raw filter and a far mask, I decrease contrast and I decrease saturation - to give greater depth.
raw2.jpg
opening from bridge
layers.jpg
layers and their masks
layers.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 95 times
done.jpg
done (my starting point)

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:08 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:25 pm
I open the raw captured image in bridge and in this case, I increase exposure, lower highlights, and lift shadows.

Highlights processing: If it is a highlight, (getting sun), then using camera raw and a luminosity mask for the highlights, I increase texture, contrast, and warmth.

Shadow processing: If it is in the shadows and dark, I create a luminosity mask for the darks and left texture alone (sometimes this is a good place for noise reduction), I move the tints to greens and slide temperature to the cooler side. And I lower contrast.

Near processing: If it is close (the foreground in this instance), Using camera raw and a near mask, I increase contrast and warmth.

Far processing: For the trees that are behind the house, Using camera raw filter and a far mask, I decrease contrast and I decrease saturation - to give greater depth.

raw2.jpg
layers.jpg
done.jpg
I am going to study this in depth if I survive this holiday week. I have long been eager to learn from your technique and process steps. I’m already wanting to know what tools you use for luminosity masking but I’ll forgive you if you don’t answer right away because your week may be as chaotic as mine. The way you manage distance and near areas is especially intriguing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:08 am
PietFrancke wrote:

raw2.jpg
layers.jpg
done.jpg
I am going to study this in depth if I survive this holiday week. I have long been eager to learn from your technique and process steps. I’m already wanting to know what tools you use for luminosity masking but I’ll forgive you if you don’t answer right away because your week may be as chaotic as mine. The way you manage distance and near areas is especially intriguing.
Happy New Year Min! Just google TK Tony Kuyper luminosity maps

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:08 am
PietFrancke wrote:

raw2.jpg
layers.jpg
done.jpg
Happy New Year Min! Just google TK Tony Kuyper luminosity maps
Alas, I drowned in Tony last year. This past year I also drowned in Blake Rudis. Your notes may help me make some sense of it in 2020.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones