Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Image ProcessingAbout Outdated Hardware

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

About Outdated Hardware

Post by minniev » Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm

I primarily use a desktop computer and an ipad for my photo work, but I own an old entry level mac laptop that I hadn't used in over a year because it was just impossibly slow, taking 20 minutes to load when I turned it on, and almost that long to open a program after that (even an email program). Lightroom and Photoshop crashed it every time. The RAM was maxed out at 8, so there was nowhere to go until my son showed up for Mothers Day with a 256g SSD. Neither of us has any tech skills but we can watch videos and we are brave, so we spent Saturday night doing laptop surgery: removing the old DVD drive, installing the SSD in that bay, securing everything, sewing her back up, cloning the hard drive and copying it to the SSD, reformatting the old hard drive, updating to a more modern system, and moving everything that could be moved to the old non-SSD hard drive, including photos. Then I installed the latest versions of LightroomCC and Photoshop. Yesterday I spent the day fiddling with files, adding my favorite plugins and getting stuff to work, but declared victory after I had successfully taken some new photos, downloaded them to the old hard drive of the laptop, imported them into LRCC, edited them in PS and let them come back to LRCC. Then I waited a few minutes and SUCCESS! The edited photos copied themselves to my main computer's photo drive, and added themselves to LR Classic with no direct assistance from me. Here is the first one.

The computer that used to take 20 minutes to load now takes about 15 seconds from startup to fully loaded. Programs open almost instantly. It is still burdened with an outdated processor and no way to further upgrade RAM so I won't be loading lots of programs onto it, but the difference this little $30 rectangle made was almost beyond belief.
Attachments
md flowers (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Hooray for you, well done......beautiful image

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Fri May 17, 2019 12:54 am

Woo Hoo!! What a good feeling when hard work pays off!