"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Image ProcessingGetting rid of moon flare

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software, hardware and other resources. Chemical or digital.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Getting rid of moon flare

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:I want to post this photo in my Project 52 but want to clear up the moon first. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Moonrise, Patapsco Valley (1 of 1).jpg

I don't think it is clear-able. Matt. There is not likely to be any detail in the moon with those settings. A separate exposure for detail in the moon could be combined with this or an even brighter one to get detail everywhere, if you wanted. This shot has its own charm though. Sometimes our own shooting problems yield serendipity and this is one of them. I might raise the exposure on the top with a gradient layer to get more visibility in the top of that wonderful tree, and increase the glow in the bottom half with a gradient layer and masking, to enhance the glow in the background (including the moon), make it look more intentional and dramatic.

Suspect you're right, Minnie. So, I will try your suggestions and also will try again tonight; it will be later, however, and is forcast to be cloudy, so I may haave to go with what I have. I took another a few days ago that I planned for P52, and may use that instead. Staay tuned. Matt

Minnie, Here's the limit of my pp skills.
Tree & moon 5 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 am

Matt Quinn wrote:I guess because the moon was clear and I messed up with the wrong apperture or iso or time. Learning but slowly. Matt

Moons are a funny thing and most people don't realize they are almost as bright as the Sun so there's a science to shooting them. S-
- how to photograph the moon
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:I guess because the moon was clear and I messed up with the wrong apperture or iso or time. Learning but slowly. Matt

Moons are a funny thing and most people don't realize they are almost as bright as the Sun so there's a science to shooting them. S-
- how to photograph the moon

Thanks Steve. Will view later today and try next moon. Mat
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Return to “Image Processing”