“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Digital EditingLearning the Tilt-Shift Blur Option in Photoshop CC 2018

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software and other resources.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Learning the Tilt-Shift Blur Option in Photoshop CC 2018

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:52 pm

We've been talking a ittle about this regarding Dave Chinn's Big Kahuna, where he has been trying to get a believable blur in the background. I happened upon a tutorial on this (the stuff about the tilt/shift blur starts about the halfway mark) and decided to try it. Here is my progress report:

This one is the original Lightroom adjusted image. The problem is that even shooting wide open my 1" sensor still carries the depth of field too deep into the background so my buddy here doesn't stand out as I would have liked.
01.jpg

So this one was my first somewhat clumsy attempt at the tilt/shift blur. I made a bunch'a misteaks so it looks phony as a 3-dollar bill, but I learned something in the process...
02.jpg

This one I just did. I think it's a lot better. The falloff from foreground to background is more believable (I hope) and I backed off the overall blur since I thought originally it was too much.
03.jpg
BUT DOES THIS FOOL THE EYE? (If you open these three in tabs and reduce the size to fit the screen you can toggle among them and see the effects.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Learning the Tilt-Shift Blur Option in Photoshop CC 2018

Postby minniev » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you for sharing this Chuck, it's a technique I know I will find a good use for. M43 cameras have the mixed blessing and curse of holding LOTS in focus even at apertures of, let's say, 1.8. Sometimes I am trying to do exactly what you were trying to do here. You did it well, too, by the way.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:50 pm

A useful tool, Chuck, and you got better at this with a bit of muscle memory. I liked the wood sculpture as well. I would be tempted to play with its lighting values with a bit of texture to make it even more dramatic.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:44 pm

minniev wrote:Thank you for sharing this Chuck, it's a technique I know I will find a good use for. M43 cameras have the mixed blessing and curse of holding LOTS in focus even at apertures of, let's say, 1.8. Sometimes I am trying to do exactly what you were trying to do here. You did it well, too, by the way.

Thanks, Min. Micro 4/3 sensors have a crop factor of 2 (my 1" has a crop factor of 2.7), so that's what, half the size of a full frame? So yeah, it's harder to get that blur or bokeh. I was pretty happy when I went up from a 1/1.7, but like everything else sometimes that goes-on-forever DOF was useful, sometimes not.
Bob Yankle wrote:A useful tool, Chuck, and you got better at this with a bit of muscle memory. I liked the wood sculpture as well. I would be tempted to play with its lighting values with a bit of texture to make it even more dramatic.

Thanks Bob. I think I tend more to "straight" photography, a documentary approach. I love what you do (!!) and of course I have no compunction about changing or blurring a background or swapping a face, but I just can't seem to get into more creative PP. (Doesn't mean I won't... :D )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:We've been talking a ittle about this regarding Dave Chinn's Big Kahuna, where he has been trying to get a believable blur in the background. I happened upon a tutorial on this (the stuff about the tilt/shift blur starts about the halfway mark) and decided to try it. Here is my progress report:

This one is the original Lightroom adjusted image. The problem is that even shooting wide open my 1" sensor still carries the depth of field too deep into the background so my buddy here doesn't stand out as I would have liked.
01.jpg
So this one was my first somewhat clumsy attempt at the tilt/shift blur. I made a bunch'a misteaks so it looks phony as a 3-dollar bill, but I learned something in the process...
02.jpg
This one I just did. I think it's a lot better. The falloff from foreground to background is more believable (I hope) and I backed off the overall blur since I thought originally it was too much.
03.jpgBUT DOES THIS FOOL THE EYE? (If you open these three in tabs and reduce the size to fit the screen you can toggle among them and see the effects.)

Yes, I think #3 is believable Chuck !!! It's spot on to my eyes. Now I think its time to get back to the Big Kahuna. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I still find it amazing the things you can do it in post. It's as amazing as it is scary I guess. Thanks for explaining another tool! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm

davechinn wrote:Yes, I think #3 is believable Chuck !!! It's spot on to my eyes. Now I think its time to get back to the Big Kahuna. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.
Dave

You're welcome, Dave. See below...
St3v3M wrote:I still find it amazing the things you can do it in post. It's as amazing as it is scary I guess. Thanks for explaining another tool! S-

You're welcome, Steve. As it happens I am getting ready to join the discussion on ethics in photography, and coming back to this image makes me think about the ethics of it. I wanted to better isolate and highlight the main subject, just as Dave does with his Big Kahuna. But my background was too sharp, and while sure there were ways I could have mitigated it in camera, probably best by moving back and using a longer focal length (I was already wide open at f/2.8), I didn't do that, but I have the tools and developing (no pun) skill to mitigate it in post. Do I have to tell every person who looks at the "shopped" picture that it's not how it first looked? As it happens I have the series up on my Flickr so it's "fully disclosed," but... (?)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:You're welcome, Steve. As it happens I am getting ready to join the discussion on ethics in photography, and coming back to this image makes me think about the ethics of it. I wanted to better isolate and highlight the main subject, just as Dave does with his Big Kahuna. But my background was too sharp, and while sure there were ways I could have mitigated it in camera, probably best by moving back and using a longer focal length (I was already wide open at f/2.8), I didn't do that, but I have the tools and developing (no pun) skill to mitigate it in post. Do I have to tell every person who looks at the "shopped" picture that it's not how it first looked? As it happens I have the series up on my Flickr so it's "fully disclosed," but... (?)

I'm learning so much here and am always thankful when we help each other, thank you for that! And ethics you say? I'll have to look into that! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Digital Editing”