Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
Waiting On An Update - The Reply Error Message Is An Annoyance, But The Site Still Works

Places ShowcaseA Somewhat Political Photo Story - Organ Pipe National Monument

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Somewhat Political Photo Story - Organ Pipe National Monument

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 pm

This week, Organ Pipe National Monument in Arizona was destroyed to make way for a border wall. Bulldozers dug up the land and dynamite blew up the sacred mountains and burial grounds of the native people who have lived there for thousands of years. I visited Organ Pipe 8 years and several cameras ago, and it was an over bright day, so my pictures aren't wonderful, but the distressing stories of this week persuaded me to delve back into them and put something together. Here's a short photo story of a place that was beautiful for a very long time.

The nearest town to Organ Pipe is named Why. I snapped a photo of it as we drove by on the highway, and it seems like a logical final statement for the photo story.
Attachments
op (1 of 1)-3.jpg
op (1 of 1)-6.jpg
op (1 of 1)-8.jpg
op (1 of 1)-4.jpg
tim (1 of 1)-2.jpg
op (1 of 1)-5.jpg
op (1 of 1)-2.jpg
op (1 of 1)-9.jpg
op (1 of 1)-10.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Great set...hate to hear that.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 pm
Great set...hate to hear that.
Thanks, I hated to hear it too. I knew the native tribe was fighting it in court, and still art, but it seems it will be too late to save it. So sad.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Yes living in a border state I know all too well the problems of the "wall"...most ranchers and landowners along the border are basically just shit outa luck so it seems

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 pm

good shots - prophetic name for the town, that's for sure. The world is changing, I predict problems in the South (Mexico and below) will create a Tide that a silly wall isn't going to stop. In my neighborhood I will need a wall to keep rising waters at bay (or in the bay) - as the Ocean seeks to grow larger. Ok, sorry - this ostrich is now going to put his old head back in the sand.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 am

Please don't I enjoy listening...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:40 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 am
I love our country very much - but things are very troubling - worse than troubling. The ability that the media has to frighten citizens and ultimately to manipulate them is fearsome. An individual filled with hate and ego who is viewed as a Joke outside of our nation is worshipped by a fanatical hating following.

I was born in 54 in Holland - my parents were in Holland during WW2 as teenagers. My worldview is likely warped for these reasons. Walls are what you build so that you can line people against them and then shoot them. Lies have been normalized. I believe that we are (unknown to ourselves) in a class warfare between the very rich and nobody else.

Regular people will find themselves getting sick and insurance companies will choose whether or not to pay. Regular people will find themselves without any rights, because we gave them up so that we could be Safe from imaginary enemies. Regular people will sicken from unknown viruses. Regular people will get sick because poisons will be thrown into the air and into the water - (not to kill regular people, but simply that big business will be able to do whatever they wish - and throwing poisons into the air and water is very convenient).

All of these things are taking place to legitimize the process of removing you from your money. There is no grand conspiracy, there is only Greed, and the very Greedy, that are Con-Artists and Thieves by their very nature have at long last been legitimized. They have built a machine that helps them tell their lies. The goal is not to make our country great, or to stand up for values, or liberty, or anything that traditionally counted - the goal is for those in power to become even more powerful.

I am conservative by nature - not liberal. But those who pretend to be conservatives and that currently run our country do not care for me or for mine. They will gladly take everything that I have and cherish. If I was overly religious, I would wonder if the Anti-Christ himself is walking amongst us -

Sorry, I will now stick my sorry old hopeless head back into the sand. There will be no satisfaction at all in saying "I told you so". God I hope I am wrong. I believe the very rich have chosen to end our wonderful American experiment with democracy and firmly take control in a world that is close to destruction in all ways that one might care to measure.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:37 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:40 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 am
I love our country very much - but things are very troubling - worse than troubling. The ability that the media has to frighten citizens and ultimately to manipulate them is fearsome. An individual filled with hate and ego who is viewed as a Joke outside of our nation is worshipped by a fanatical hating following.

I was born in 54 in Holland - my parents were in Holland during WW2 as teenagers. My worldview is likely warped for these reasons. Walls are what you build so that you can line people against them and then shoot them. Lies have been normalized. I believe that we are (unknown to ourselves) in a class warfare between the very rich and nobody else.

Regular people will find themselves getting sick and insurance companies will choose whether or not to pay. Regular people will find themselves without any rights, because we gave them up so that we could be Safe from imaginary enemies. Regular people will sicken from unknown viruses. Regular people will get sick because poisons will be thrown into the air and into the water - (not to kill regular people, but simply that big business will be able to do whatever they wish - and throwing poisons into the air and water is very convenient).

All of these things are taking place to legitimize the process of removing you from your money. There is no grand conspiracy, there is only Greed, and the very Greedy, that are Con-Artists and Thieves by their very nature have at long last been legitimized. They have built a machine that helps them tell their lies. The goal is not to make our country great, or to stand up for values, or liberty, or anything that traditionally counted - the goal is for those in power to become even more powerful.

I am conservative by nature - not liberal. But those who pretend to be conservatives and that currently run our country do not care for me or for mine. They will gladly take everything that I have and cherish. If I was overly religious, I would wonder if the Anti-Christ himself is walking amongst us -

Sorry, I will now stick my sorry old hopeless head back into the sand. There will be no satisfaction at all in saying "I told you so". God I hope I am wrong. I believe the very rich have chosen to end our wonderful American experiment with democracy and firmly take control in a world that is close to destruction in all ways that one might care to measure.
Beautiful stated, heartbreakingly true, and I agree with every word. Thank you for putting what so many of us feel into writing.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:27 pm

sorry for my pitiful rant - it pains me when my churchgoing conservative friends are more concerned with sexual sin in California than ethics sin in DC. And they are blind to what I think is going on.

https://truthout.org/articles/fourteen- ... OTLOBZsb3U

I read this link the other day and it explains fairly clearly how and why the brainwashing seems to be working - I never would have thought reasonably intelligent people would be vulnerable to this, but there you go - we all have our unique world views - but it is shocking how easy it is to be manipulated.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Good points...propaganda has been around forever, there's just more of it now and we are bombarded with it constantly. Most people are so busy trying to survive that they blindly believe what they hear. Another problem is even legitimate news sources generally don't get a story right the first time, the newer generations in a rush to get the scoop..report first and coo berate the facts later and put out a brief correction in between commercials hoping no one will notice they made a mistake...you just have to hope you see it. My wife and I laughed for quite some time after seeing a reporter all excited about reporting on a hurricane a few years back...with the USS Lexington docked in Corpus Christi Texas in the background, the reporter, standing at waters edge in rubber boots of course was talking about how windy it was getting and about the heavy rain and tides that were coming, turned and pointed towards the carrier and said they were securing the hatches and getting ready to make way to get out of harms way.....The carrier has been docked there since 1992 and operates as a museum. Yes I am shocked what our educated adults in politics say and do on a daily basis.....