Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Places ShowcaseMonhegan - The Going Out and Coming In of The Alice B

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Monhegan - The Going Out and Coming In of The Alice B

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:58 pm

There's a sequence of things that happens for each lobster boat. The captain and his helpers must prepare the traps with newly painted floats identified for that lobsterman's license, refurbish and rig the traps with fresh ropes and weights and other stuff, prepare their bait and get it into boxes that they float in the harbor near the boat. Then, the sternman rows the captain to the boat to prepare it. There is a frenzy of trap loading, placing, returning for reloading, and eventually, at the end of the day, the boat is anchored in the harbor, and the little wooden dory brings the captain back to shore. In the story of the Alice B, this is Doug's last year. He says he is retiring. He set fewer traps than the maximum this year and once he was done, he used the Alice B to help a new lobsterman get started on his first season. At the end of Trap Day 2019, it was my honor to help Doug get his dory ashore and haul his personal stash of lobsters to his truck. I just happened to be on the beach when he came in alone, and needed some help. I don't know if he will keep his boat or sell it, so it may be the last Trap Day the Alice B will see. If so I'll miss her. I've been photographing her for 7 years.
Attachments
doug (1 of 1)-5.jpg
doug (1 of 1)-3.jpg
doug (1 of 1)-4.jpg
doug (1 of 1)-2.jpg
doug (1 of 1)-6.jpg
doug (1 of 1).jpg
doug (1 of 1)-7.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 am

Nice story even if a bit sad but great imagery...

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:04 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 am
Nice story even if a bit sad but great imagery...
Thanks Frank. It made me sad too. Doug will still be there, I'm pretty sure, it's his home, and he'll help the others I'm sure. He is one who left the island, got a couple of advanced degrees, found he couldn't be happy off the water, and went home to be a lobster fisherman. Maybe he is ready to just watch.

He is one of two senior lobstermen who say this is their last "full season" year. It is common for these guys to have many physical issues - knees, hips, shoulders replaced, chronic pain. It is not an easy life. They have to love it to do it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones