"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Places Showcase'A Sense of Place' (Sturgis, S.D.)

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'A Sense of Place' (Sturgis, S.D.)

Post by davechinn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Some images from my trip to Sturgis, South Dakota 2017 motorcycle rally. As you all know, I love street photography and I think my reasoning is I love people watching in general. Capturing street photos is a plus to my people watching. The variety is large and the more unique the better. I do often wonder, how I am portrayed, because you know someone is bound to be watching and looking at goofy me. Either way, it's all in fun searching for interesting characters. This is just a start and possibly will be posting more. Enjoy !!!
Dave
Attachments
Motorcycle DEC_3082w B&W.jpg
'Motocycle Rider'
Observers DEC_3168w B&W #2.jpg
'Observers'
Every Which Way DEC_3169w B&W #2.jpg
'Every Which Way'
Biker DEC_3178w B&W #2.jpg
'Biker'
Biker Babe DEC_3217w B&W #2.jpg
'Biker Babe'
BabyBack RiderDEC_3151w B&W #2.jpg
'BabyBack Rider'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:58 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm
Some images from my trip to Sturgis, South Dakota 2017 motorcycle rally. As you all know, I love street photography and I think my reasoning is I love people watching in general. Capturing street photos is a plus to my people watching. The variety is large and the more unique the better. I do often wonder, how I am portrayed, because you know someone is bound to be watching and looking at goofy me. Either way, it's all in fun searching for interesting characters. This is just a start and possibly will be posting more. Enjoy !!!
Dave
You definitely find those interesting characters. All these are great. I particularly like the second one, which is oozing with personality. Your processing adds to the magic, these folks and their two wheeled beasts are perfectly suited for your grunge processing monochrome work.

Just think, on some other forum far away, perhaps someone is posting a picture of you! I did! And you are very photogenic, I must say.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Dave, Wonderful. When we lived in MT, we heard a lot about Sturgis from a lady faculty member who had her hog and rode there with her boyfriend each year. Almost a split personality; seems like the beast brought out the summer beast in her after the long MT winters. Hearing about the size of the crowds cooled any temptation we might have entertained to visit. But it looks like a great community of like-minded folks with great respect for each other. And I agree with Minnie on #2; my favorite. And your favorite go-to of grunge is the perfect sauce for these photos. Well done. Great fun. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:25 pm

While I like #2...Every Which Way and BabyBack Rider stand out for me, and in that order..well done

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:14 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:58 pm
davechinn wrote:
Dave
You definitely find those interesting characters. All these are great. I particularly like the second one, which is oozing with personality. Your processing adds to the magic, these folks and their two wheeled beasts are perfectly suited for your grunge processing monochrome work.

Just think, on some other forum far away, perhaps someone is posting a picture of you! I did! And you are very photogenic, I must say.

Minnie, it was easy to find interesting characters in Sturgis at that particular time. The bike rally draws them out and was so much fun observing, which is what the couple in the second photo was doing. Their expression of the passerby's says it all, which is what drew my attention to them and away from the carnival momentarily.

Yes, I'm sure to be plastered on the net somewhere, which doesn't bother me. It's fair game, what goes around comes around, right?
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:13 pm
Dave, Wonderful. When we lived in MT, we heard a lot about Sturgis from a lady faculty member who had her hog and rode there with her boyfriend each year. Almost a split personality; seems like the beast brought out the summer beast in her after the long MT winters. Hearing about the size of the crowds cooled any temptation we might have entertained to visit. But it looks like a great community of like-minded folks with great respect for each other. And I agree with Minnie on #2; my favorite. And your favorite go-to of grunge is the perfect sauce for these photos. Well done. Great fun. Matt

Yes Matt, the crowd can be overbearing and it was. So much so, I have no desire for a return trip, at least during the bike rally time frame. However, I would most definitely return to Deadwood, which is only 13.6 miles from Sturgis. The crowd during the rally in Deadwood was near perfect. Just the right amount of bikers and observers to keep my interest without being chaotic and wanting to disappear.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:25 pm
While I like #2...Every Which Way and BabyBack Rider stand out for me, and in that order..well done

Thanks Frank, glad these appeal to you. The image 'Every Which Way' caught my attention by the variety of people on a crowded sidewalk, such as the person with no shirt and high water pants. The person to the right of him appears that they are holding hands, but they weren't and probably not even together as a group.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 am

davechinn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Yes Matt, the crowd can be overbearing and it was. So much so, I have no desire for a return trip, at least during the bike rally time frame. However, I would most definitely return to Deadwood, which is only 13.6 miles from Sturgis. The crowd during the rally in Deadwood was near perfect. Just the right amount of bikers and observers to keep my interest without being chaotic and wanting to disappear.
Dave
Dave, I think you know my favorite is the Observers, with their looks of friendly, tolerant amusement.

I sincerely hope you don't mind my sticking a picture into your thread, but I want to tell you the Sturgis story behind this:
Rose in Spearfish 2010.jpg
The Overflow Lot; Rose in Spearfish during Sturgis, August 2010
August 12, 2010, we were on our weary way home from our first outing with Rose, our then-brand-new truly tiny tent camper. We were 59 days on the road, 8,122 miles (13,072 kilometers), 8 states, 3 time zones, ≈413 gallons of gasoline costing around $1,167 (about $2.83 a gallon and we figgered to never see THAT price again). Interstate 90, getting late, need to get into a camp, so I was aiming for the Sturgis KOA being totally ignorant. We had noticed what seemed an unusual number of motors racing up and down the interstate but, well, ignorant. We actually drove through Spearfish still aiming for Sturgis. HAHAahahahaha :rofl:

Yeah. So, when they stopped laughing Sturgis sent us back to Spearfish KOA, and they were genuine sweethearts given that we had no reservation and they were full beyond overflowing. They offered us space in the “overflow” lot, approximately a mile hike from the porcelain palace. (OOooh-kayyyy, a mile hike might maybe be a egg-xaggeration…) :oops:

It was getting actual dark by the time we got set up. We hiked back to the kybo. The joint was jumpin'. Daphne comes back howling with laughter because of a unique sign over the sinks in the women's room: LADIES! IT IS A RALLY! NOT A PROM! We never forgot it. :lol:

Coming back to camp after a quick McD's breakfast to strike and hook up, I saw Rosie sitting away out thar and wanted to document just how far out in that field Rose was, so I took this picture from the gate. :D After that I blocked out all of August on my calendar so's we wouldn't make that mistake again.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 am
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Dave
Dave, I think you know my favorite is the Observers, with their looks of friendly, tolerant amusement.

I sincerely hope you don't mind my sticking a picture into your thread, but I want to tell you the Sturgis story behind this: Rose in Spearfish 2010.jpg
August 12, 2010, we were on our weary way home from our first outing with Rose, our then-brand-new truly tiny tent camper. We were 59 days on the road, 8,122 miles (13,072 kilometers), 8 states, 3 time zones, ≈413 gallons of gasoline costing around $1,167 (about $2.83 a gallon and we figgered to never see THAT price again). Interstate 90, getting late, need to get into a camp, so I was aiming for the Sturgis KOA being totally ignorant. We had noticed what seemed an unusual number of motors racing up and down the interstate but, well, ignorant. We actually drove through Spearfish still aiming for Sturgis. HAHAahahahaha :rofl:

Yeah. So, when they stopped laughing Sturgis sent us back to Spearfish KOA, and they were genuine sweethearts given that we had no reservation and they were full beyond overflowing. They offered us space in the “overflow” lot, approximately a mile hike from the porcelain palace. (OOooh-kayyyy, a mile hike might maybe be a egg-xaggeration…) :oops:

It was getting actual dark by the time we got set up. We hiked back to the kybo. The joint was jumpin'. Daphne comes back howling with laughter because of a unique sign over the sinks in the women's room: LADIES! IT IS A RALLY! NOT A PROM! We never forgot it. :lol:

Coming back to camp after a quick McD's breakfast to strike and hook up, I saw Rosie sitting away out thar and wanted to document just how far out in that field Rose was, so I took this picture from the gate. :D After that I blocked out all of August on my calendar so's we wouldn't make that mistake again.

Chuck, I do believe 'Observers' is a favorite for many, as is for me. I enjoyed reading your story and I'm sure it will be with you to tell over and over. A negative situation always turns positive in the end, especially when we can laugh about it, and of course at ourselves. Thanks for sharing your fond memories !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 am

davechinn wrote:
Dave
Love the forth, really cool! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"