“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Places ShowcaseDocumentary - The Economy in Tempe, Az 2009

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Documentary - The Economy in Tempe, Az 2009

Post by rmalarz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm

The bookstore and Gallery photos were taken around 4AM, Uno's sometime mid-afternoon.

Border's Bookstore closed at the beginning of 2009. Borders was a huge two story bookstore and somewhat large coffee shop. They apparently didn't adapt to the online side of doing business, as Barnes and Nobel did.

Z Gallery closed shortly thereafter. This store contained objects d' art of various mediums, sculpture, paintings, glassware, utensils, etc. There are still some around, but not in Tempe. This was probably the last photograph ever taken of this store with the sign over the door. That sign was removed the following day.

Towards the end of the year, Uno's Pizzeria closed its doors. This was a rather large restaurant/cocktail lounge. Some of the best Italian food available. Suddenly closed.

These buildings have since been taken over by other businesses. Borders was partly taken over by Arizona State University and partly by a restaurant. Z Gallery building was leased to Mellow Mushroom Pizza. Uno's is now a bar that serves food. However, those buildings stayed unoccupied for a considerable length of time before they transitioned.
--Bob
Attachments
500C-2009022801-008.jpg
Border's Bookstore
500C-2009030301-007.jpg
Z Gallery
500C-2009112701-007.jpg
Uno's Pizzaria
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Interesting thread on modern day retail ghost towns. I especially like the first image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 am

Wonderful, sad pictures (I always think about when we went bust). We had a Borders and an Uno in Madison, WI. Both long gone about the same time. Not sure if we had a Z Gallerie but I just checked and there are zero in Wisconsin, and zero in Nebraska. Uno pizza was amazing. Can't figure how they managed to fail. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks for looking, Chuck. That is always appreciated.
Besides the pizza, their entire menu was incredible. Reasonably priced, too.
--Bob

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:30 am

Evolve or die. I really like the first and wonder if this is the start of a new series? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 am

Hi, St3v3. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

In all reality, this would have been a 3 part series. However, rather than belabor the point and post three separate images, I chose to just put all three up at one time. The downtown area is now booming, so to speak. Z Gallery became a Mello Mushroom Pizza, Uno's became Handlebars - a bar restaurant, and Borders became an extension of the A.S.U. campus on the second floor with a sandwich shop opening at street level. The downtown is somewhat booming at present. However, I've not really been downtown Tempe in quite some time.
--Bob

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 am

rmalarz wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 am
Hi, St3v3. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

In all reality, this would have been a 3 part series. However, rather than belabor the point and post three separate images, I chose to just put all three up at one time. The downtown area is now booming, so to speak. Z Gallery became a Mello Mushroom Pizza, Uno's became Handlebars - a bar restaurant, and Borders became an extension of the A.S.U. campus on the second floor with a sandwich shop opening at street level. The downtown is somewhat booming at present. However, I've not really been downtown Tempe in quite some time.
--Bob
You have a knack for this kind of thing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"