A couple of waterfalls in Minnesota

Post by TomCofer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:31 am

Minnehaha Falls
TC170513 369.jpg

TC170513 385b.jpg

TC170513 391b.jpg

TC170513 393.jpg

TC170513 407.jpg
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 am

Gooseberry Falls
TC170515 973.jpg

TC170515 987.jpg

TC170515 989.jpg

TC170515 991.jpg

TC170515 995.jpg

TC170515 1033.jpg

TC170515 1081.jpg

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:34 am

Nice waterfalls. I like the first one best, but each tells its own story. I like the camera shutter speed you used, which gives detail and shows the power of the falls. I do sometimes like the slow shutter look, but moreso than smaller and less robust falls than this. Nice set.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:08 pm

minniev wrote:Nice waterfalls. I like the first one best, but each tells its own story. I like the camera shutter speed you used, which gives detail and shows the power of the falls. I do sometimes like the slow shutter look, but moreso than smaller and less robust falls than this. Nice set.
I quote Minnie because she usually says what I would'a said 'cept she says it first. :D I love Minnehaha as well, and since I've shot a lot of waterfalls hand-held since I hate to schlep a tripod I've argued (not always successfully) that the silky water thing has become a cliche, so there. :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks folks.
To be honest, I would have liked to have both, the sharp water and the silky water shots of these falls. There was just no way that I could pack a tripod with me. As it was, by the end of the day my knee was so swollen that I had to baby it for two days after the trip.

A bit of a funny side tale... Look at the rocks that are in the foreground of #1 of the Gooseberry Falls shots. I hopped over those rocks to get shots #3, 4, & 5. I was carrying two cameras at the time. I didn't realize it then, but I became a bit of an attraction and concern by doing so. Other visitors watched me in shock, just knowing that I was going to fall and hurt myself or damage my cameras. (A couple of times I thought so too.) When I returned to the bank, some folks approached me and commented on it. :)

Gooseberry Falls has three separate stages in the falls.

thcofer@charter.net

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:21 pm

#4 of first set and #1 of second set are my favorites for the compositions and feeling of being there with you. Very enjoyable.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 pm

TomCofer wrote:Thanks folks.
To be honest, I would have liked to have both, the sharp water and the silky water shots of these falls. There was just no way that I could pack a tripod with me. As it was, by the end of the day my knee was so swollen that I had to baby it for two days after the trip.

A bit of a funny side tale... Look at the rocks that are in the foreground of #1 of the Gooseberry Falls shots. I hopped over those rocks to get shots #3, 4, & 5. I was carrying two cameras at the time. I didn't realize it then, but I became a bit of an attraction and concern by doing so. Other visitors watched me in shock, just knowing that I was going to fall and hurt myself or damage my cameras. (A couple of times I thought so too.) When I returned to the bank, some folks approached me and commented on it. :)

Gooseberry Falls has three separate stages in the falls.

That's only funny since you didn't fall! I've always been a tenderfoot (I wuz bawn in Noo Yawk Citee) so even when I was spry I always but always hiked with a staff. If I had to go a-bouldering the staff was my third leg to hopefully keep me from going down. I hardly ever hike anymore --- I should but... I've thought a few times about those cool-looking hiking staffs that have a 1/4 x 20 thread under a ball on top so they can double as a monopod. Good ones are kinda $pendy, tho'... (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:11 am

TomCofer wrote:Minnehaha Falls

Those are amazing falls and you're a wonderful tour guide! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks Steve

thcofer@charter.net