"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Places ShowcaseNew York City & Flags

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: New York City & Flags

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 22, 2017 5:31 am

Didereaux wrote:I probably should explain why I said it makes it look rotated. It is an established fact amongst those who study such things, that if the edges of a frame, window, painting, photo are broader on one side the human eye/mind considers that to be the prime orientation, the direction of which is broadside to broadside.. Think about it. What accentuates the efect with this picture is that all major lines are parallel to those two broad sides, and if it was actually landscape orientation the flags would be waving from left to right. Yes, upon closer examination the proper orientation is perceived, but that is a second opinion in the minds eye.

Now does that have a thing to do with the artists choice of orientation, or frames, or preference for Fruit Loops for breakfast? Nope. Just a bit of esoterica to be tucked away or thrown away.

I thought the same thing when I first looked at it, but a second look revealed all. Mostly I'm fascinated by the apparent black and white, with the subtle flags.

Now I wonder though what I would have thought if the frame was the same size all the way around. And I learned something new! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Places Showcase”