Places ShowcaseSan Gorgonio Mountain and Cucamonga Peak

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

San Gorgonio Mountain and Cucamonga Peak

Post by Ceropegia » Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 pm

In my post of San Jacinto Peak, Steve mentioned climbing it as part of the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge in Southern California. These two peaks are part of that challenge. I was on the wrong side of the airplane to catch them in my 2015 trip to Los Angeles, but I also took some aerial photos on a 2014 trip. I had not tried to identify their location, but decided to check to see if any were taken of Southern California mountains. I discovered that I was sitting on the other side of the airplane so these two would probably have been visible to me. After checking Google Earth against my photos, I found that they were indeed among those I captured. I was using a different camera on that trip which only had about half the zoom range of the one I used in 2015. While I was able to get a fairly decent image of San Gorgonio because we passed almost directly over it, Cucamonga Peak was quite a distance away. I had to edit the image significantly but was not able to do a very good job; however, because it is one of the Six-Pack, I wanted to include it here. San Gogonio is the first photo and Cucamonga Peak, the second.
Attachments
IMG_6216gx.jpg
IMG_6231gx.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Sat May 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Love the mountain rising out of the clouds. Such size and power.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat May 13, 2017 9:48 pm

These are very nice. I think you've figured out something about taking photos from airplanes that has eluded me. I am impressed you could do so much with these given the kind of glass you probably had to shoot through. With the Cucomonga Peak, I'm guessing that you maybe edited on the clouds? I still think it's an impressive shot.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Sun May 14, 2017 12:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Love the mountain rising out of the clouds. Such size and power.
Thanks, Linda

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Sun May 14, 2017 1:46 pm

minniev wrote:These are very nice. I think you've figured out something about taking photos from airplanes that has eluded me. I am impressed you could do so much with these given the kind of glass you probably had to shoot through. With the Cucomonga Peak, I'm guessing that you maybe edited on the clouds? I still think it's an impressive shot.

Actually, I was so focused on trying to bring out the mountains, that I paid little attention to the clouds which I can see now I really blew out. So I decided to try again. This time, to separate the mountains from the rest of the image so I could keep the cloud detail, I tried using layers, something I do not understand well and am not at all good at using. Perhaps even more grainy than my first attempt, but I think I did better by the clouds.
Attachments
IMG_6231hdx.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Actually, I was so focused on trying to bring out the mountains, that I paid little attention to the clouds which I can see now I really blew out. So I decided to try again. This time, to separate the mountains from the rest of the image so I could keep the cloud detail, I tried using layers, something I do not understand well and am not at all good at using. Perhaps even more grainy than my first attempt, but I think I did better by the clouds.

Wow, a lot of great details you were able to bring out. I found the concept of layers very difficult to grasp at first, but am so glad I stuck with it. Not that I'm particularly proficient with pp, but I do use layers and layer masks a lot now :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for the permission to do this. Got curious about what that image would look like in BW. I like the old film look, but was curious.

IMG_6216gxbWsidexside.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Wow, a lot of great details you were able to bring out. I found the concept of layers very difficult to grasp at first, but am so glad I stuck with it. Not that I'm particularly proficient with pp, but I do use layers and layer masks a lot now :)
Thank! Maybe someday I'll finally figure it all out

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Didereaux wrote:Thanks for the permission to do this. Got curious about what that image would look like in BW. I like the old film look, but was curious.

IMG_6216gxbWsidexside.jpg

In your BW conversion, you really brought out the details. I like it.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 am

Ceropegia wrote:... I wanted to include it here. San Gogonio is the first photo and Cucamonga Peak, the second.

I'm honored you remembered me and posted these here. Ironically I may have a chance to climb them again soon!

Thank you for posting these here and especially for letting us work with your images. Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"