"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Places ShowcaseSan Gorgonio Mountain and Cucamonga Peak

Post Reply
User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

San Gorgonio Mountain and Cucamonga Peak

Post by Ceropegia » Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 pm

In my post of San Jacinto Peak, Steve mentioned climbing it as part of the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge in Southern California. These two peaks are part of that challenge. I was on the wrong side of the airplane to catch them in my 2015 trip to Los Angeles, but I also took some aerial photos on a 2014 trip. I had not tried to identify their location, but decided to check to see if any were taken of Southern California mountains. I discovered that I was sitting on the other side of the airplane so these two would probably have been visible to me. After checking Google Earth against my photos, I found that they were indeed among those I captured. I was using a different camera on that trip which only had about half the zoom range of the one I used in 2015. While I was able to get a fairly decent image of San Gorgonio because we passed almost directly over it, Cucamonga Peak was quite a distance away. I had to edit the image significantly but was not able to do a very good job; however, because it is one of the Six-Pack, I wanted to include it here. San Gogonio is the first photo and Cucamonga Peak, the second.
Attachments
IMG_6216gx.jpg
IMG_6231gx.jpg

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Sat May 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Love the mountain rising out of the clouds. Such size and power.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3895
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat May 13, 2017 9:48 pm

These are very nice. I think you've figured out something about taking photos from airplanes that has eluded me. I am impressed you could do so much with these given the kind of glass you probably had to shoot through. With the Cucomonga Peak, I'm guessing that you maybe edited on the clouds? I still think it's an impressive shot.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Ceropegia » Sun May 14, 2017 12:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Love the mountain rising out of the clouds. Such size and power.
Thanks, Linda

User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Ceropegia » Sun May 14, 2017 1:46 pm

minniev wrote:These are very nice. I think you've figured out something about taking photos from airplanes that has eluded me. I am impressed you could do so much with these given the kind of glass you probably had to shoot through. With the Cucomonga Peak, I'm guessing that you maybe edited on the clouds? I still think it's an impressive shot.

Actually, I was so focused on trying to bring out the mountains, that I paid little attention to the clouds which I can see now I really blew out. So I decided to try again. This time, to separate the mountains from the rest of the image so I could keep the cloud detail, I tried using layers, something I do not understand well and am not at all good at using. Perhaps even more grainy than my first attempt, but I think I did better by the clouds.
Attachments
IMG_6231hdx.jpg

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Actually, I was so focused on trying to bring out the mountains, that I paid little attention to the clouds which I can see now I really blew out. So I decided to try again. This time, to separate the mountains from the rest of the image so I could keep the cloud detail, I tried using layers, something I do not understand well and am not at all good at using. Perhaps even more grainy than my first attempt, but I think I did better by the clouds.

Wow, a lot of great details you were able to bring out. I found the concept of layers very difficult to grasp at first, but am so glad I stuck with it. Not that I'm particularly proficient with pp, but I do use layers and layer masks a lot now :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: swamps of East Texas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for the permission to do this. Got curious about what that image would look like in BW. I like the old film look, but was curious.

IMG_6216gxbWsidexside.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Ceropegia » Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Wow, a lot of great details you were able to bring out. I found the concept of layers very difficult to grasp at first, but am so glad I stuck with it. Not that I'm particularly proficient with pp, but I do use layers and layer masks a lot now :)
Thank! Maybe someday I'll finally figure it all out

User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Ceropegia » Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Didereaux wrote:Thanks for the permission to do this. Got curious about what that image would look like in BW. I like the old film look, but was curious.

IMG_6216gxbWsidexside.jpg


In your BW conversion, you really brought out the details. I like it.

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4328
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 am

Ceropegia wrote:... I wanted to include it here. San Gogonio is the first photo and Cucamonga Peak, the second.

I'm honored you remembered me and posted these here. Ironically I may have a chance to climb them again soon!

Thank you for posting these here and especially for letting us work with your images. Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests