"Details matter, it's worth waiting to get it right." —Steve Jobs

Places ShowcaseSan Jacinto Peak by Land and Air

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: San Jacinto Peak by Land and Air

Postby Ceropegia » Sat May 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Duck wrote:Try that trick 20 years ago... :devil:

We should call you Martha Holmes, internet detective. :lol:

I love Google Maps with street view for exactly the same purpose you're using it for here. I don't use GPS on my camera and often never record where exactly I am when I take a photo. Most of the time I really don't care but I do find on rare occasions I need that info. This is where Google Maps shines.

As others mentioned, it's great you have the determination to research all this. Specially when you can use that info to pair images taken from the two vantage points. Awesome job. I particularly love the aerial shots as those don't come around too often for us non travelers.

Thanks, Duck
I don't use GPS on my camera either, which is why I love Google Maps so much. When I am in a large city, especially New York, I often spend a great deal of time wandering around taking photos of buildings and especially architectural details. I use street view when I get home to retrace my steps to identify locations. It has failed me when I have been on blocked off streets or in a large park where the Google cameras can't go and frustrated me when I had trouble finding a building because some vehicle was blocking it or scaffolding was or was not present when Google documented the area. But, that rarely happens.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat May 06, 2017 12:43 pm

I wouldn't mind having GPS on a camera. I started to try to locate pictures I have up on Flickr, but it's sooooo tedious. I've done some, should do more, but there are so many it becomes daunting. :( It is kinda fun sometimes when you can really zero in on the exact spot, but frankly an onboard GPS would make it easy, and I am ALL about eeeeeaaaasy. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Sat May 06, 2017 1:15 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks for an interesting story about the tools for tracking down locations, and how you used that in conjunction with your photos. Though commercial airplanes have their shooting drawbacks (reflections, dirty and scratched glass,bad angles) I am still fascinated with the view from the sky, and feel privileged to see the earth below every time I fly. To people a couple of generations back, flying would have seemed an impossible kind of magic.

You are so right about the drawbacks. The windows are a challenge. Sometimes they ice up or are covered with rain or condensation, but, luckily, I didn't experience any of that on this trip. Color was the biggest problem. The window I was sitting by was fairly clear but it was heavily tinted at the top imparting a pronounced bluish tint at the top of some of the photos. When I couldn't avoid shooting through that section of the window or crop the tinted area out without loosing significant parts of the image, I tried using a graduated filter from Color Efex to modify the tint and blend it into the rest of the image. I was only moderately successful. How to deal with atmospheric blue haze was also a quandary. It was also quite pronounced in many shots. I really wanted a more natural color, though; so, I mostly just guessed at how to adjust for it. I think I tended to overcompensate with greens and yellows. Another problem was that many shots were also taken through thick cloudy hazes. I had to really work on them to bring out some color and better detail. Those are the ones that did not turn out well at all despite my efforts. But, getting good shots was never really the goal. I just wanted to document what was passing by on the ground during the flight. To that end, I pretty much achieved my goal, except, of course, where I was frustrated on some parts of the journey where thick cloud cover obscured the ground, That did let me get some nice cloud shots, though. On the two aerial photos in this post the haze was not too bad, plus I had benefit of the ground shots to help with the color. One of the unaltered images:
Attachments
IMG_5080x.jpg

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Sat May 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I wouldn't mind having GPS on a camera. I started to try to locate pictures I have up on Flickr, but it's sooooo tedious. I've done some, should do more, but there are so many it becomes daunting. :( It is kinda fun sometimes when you can really zero in on the exact spot, but frankly an onboard GPS would make it easy, and I am ALL about eeeeeaaaasy. :)

I know the feeling trying to locate things in Flickr. I used to try adding locations, but decided in most cases, it wasn't worth the effort. I doubt many folks really cared. Perhaps I should consider turning on the GPS, but it can be such a battery hog.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Thu May 11, 2017 6:59 am

Ceropegia wrote:... Among them I discovered were several aerial views of San Jacinto Peak. ...

This one has a special place in my heart as I've been to the top and back as part of A Six-Pack of Peak Challenge https://socalhiker.net/a-six-pack-of-peaks and can tell you the mountain is just as foreboding on it as it is from above. You seem to have captured her in all her beauty decked out in clouds she looks almost inviting.

I'm curious, what was your experience shooting through an airplane window; dirt, vibration, reflection, angle. Tell it all! And knowing that area and the weather there were you tempted to adjust the white balance or leave like you saw it? Love the composition and the impact. Thank you for posting this here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Thu May 11, 2017 2:03 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Ceropegia wrote:... Among them I discovered were several aerial views of San Jacinto Peak. ...

This one has a special place in my heart as I've been to the top and back as part of A Six-Pack of Peak Challenge https://socalhiker.net/a-six-pack-of-peaks and can tell you the mountain is just as foreboding on it as it is from above. You seem to have captured her in all her beauty decked out in clouds she looks almost inviting.

I'm curious, what was your experience shooting through an airplane window; dirt, vibration, reflection, angle. Tell it all! And knowing that area and the weather there were you tempted to adjust the white balance or leave like you saw it? Love the composition and the impact. Thank you for posting this here! S-

Wow, the six pack sounds like quite a challenge! Must have given you some breath-taking views.

I pretty much described my shooting experience two posts above where I posted an original unedited version of one of the shots. I did not find vibration to be a problem. Angle was only a problem when I saw something at the last minute that the plane was on course to pass directly over. Almost without exception, I missed getting those shots. I had the camera set on auto and let it do its thing. As described above, on many shots, I did do a lot of post processing, but the two in this post did not require much as you can see from the original.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Wow, the six pack sounds like quite a challenge! Must have given you some breath-taking views.

I pretty much described my shooting experience two posts above where I posted an original unedited version of one of the shots. I did not find vibration to be a problem. Angle was only a problem when I saw something at the last minute that the plane was on course to pass directly over. Almost without exception, I missed getting those shots. I had the camera set on auto and let it do its thing. As described above, on many shots, I did do a lot of post processing, but the two in this post did not require much as you can see from the original.

I appreciate the details. I've tried these in the past and either catch them too late or am on a plane with dirty windows so a good shot is rare. When I'm lucky enough to catch one though I have found it hard to focus but that might be an issue with my cellphone​. I'll keep working at it.

Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Places Showcase”