"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." —Samuel Beckett

Places ShowcaseSan Jacinto Peak by Land and Air

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

San Jacinto Peak by Land and Air

Post by Ceropegia » Fri May 05, 2017 9:16 am

In 2015, on a Southwest Airlines flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles, I decided to document the flight by taking photos all along the way. I had no idea where what I was photographing actually was. After I returned, using Google Earth, I was finally able to find the location of one of the first shots I had taken. Starting with that photo, I used the time between when other photos were taken along the way, guessed the approximate speed we were traveling, and used that to calculate the approximate distance that had been traveled between each photo. Then using the flight path Southwest follows to make the trip, I spent many days searching Google Earth along that path for the location of all the photos I had taken. Some were easy to find. Others, I thought I would never locate, but refused to give up. Ultimately, I was able to find the location of all them and record the approximate GPS coordinates for each. Among them I discovered were several aerial views of San Jacinto Peak. I remembered having taken photos of it from the road on a trip to California in 2011 so went back to check where I had taken them only to find I had not recorded the place. But, based on the time they were taken and the photos I had taken before and after them, I had a general idea of where the location was. So I used Google Street View to travel along Interstate 10 until I found the area near where I had taken the photos, then used Google Maps to establish that it was on the eastbound side of the Whitewater Rest Stop on Interstate 10 in Riverside County near Palm Springs, California. I was even able to verify this for sure because I searched the internet for information about the rest stop and found a photo taken by someone else that was almost identical to one I had taken there. Switching to Google Earth, I then I realized that the rest stop can be seen from the photos I had taken of the peak from the air. It is the cluster of buildings at the bottom of the photo to the left of where a road splits off from the interstate forming a y-branch (slightly left of center in the closer shot, much father to the left in the longer shot) The approximate GPS coordinates of the rest stop are 33.922316,-116,663853. I am still working on putting place names to all the aerial photos using the GPS coordinates I recorded when I found them. If I ever finish, I will document the aerial trip across the country in albums in Flickr and, if it survives, Ipernity and perhaps in a thread here.
Attachments
IMG_5088aidx.jpg
IMG_1748dx.jpg

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Fri May 05, 2017 9:17 am

Closer shots
Attachments
IMG_5080gstcx.jpg
IMG_1749gx.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am

WOW! It's hard to know what else to say. The pictures are stunners, but what you did to track down locations, guesstimating ground speed, figuring out the track in the air... Well, just WOW! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am

Beautiful shots and neat information Martha.
You have a LOT more patience than I do! :)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri May 05, 2017 1:23 pm

What a fascinating labor of love and interest. I'm enthralled by your single-minded ability to follow through with this project. I suspect this must be how you are with all of life: no QUIT in Martha! Oh - and some mighty pretty photos too. Thanks for the topic!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Try that trick 20 years ago... :devil:

We should call you Martha Holmes, internet detective. :lol:

I love Google Maps with street view for exactly the same purpose you're using it for here. I don't use GPS on my camera and often never record where exactly I am when I take a photo. Most of the time I really don't care but I do find on rare occasions I need that info. This is where Google Maps shines.

As others mentioned, it's great you have the determination to research all this. Specially when you can use that info to pair images taken from the two vantage points. Awesome job. I particularly love the aerial shots as those don't come around too often for us non travelers.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat May 06, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks for an interesting story about the tools for tracking down locations, and how you used that in conjunction with your photos. Though commercial airplanes have their shooting drawbacks (reflections, dirty and scratched glass,bad angles) I am still fascinated with the view from the sky, and feel privileged to see the earth below every time I fly. To people a couple of generations back, flying would have seemed an impossible kind of magic.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Sat May 06, 2017 11:56 am

Charles Haacker wrote:WOW! It's hard to know what else to say. The pictures are stunners, but what you did to track down locations, guesstimating ground speed, figuring out the track in the air... Well, just WOW! (OK)

Thanks! My calculations were sometimes way off, so I spent a lot of time looking in the wrong places, but I really wanted to know what I had shot.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Sat May 06, 2017 12:00 pm

TomCofer wrote:Beautiful shots and neat information Martha.
You have a LOT more patience than I do! :)

Thanks,Tom I think you probably have a lot more patience than you give yourself credit for. Your great composites of multiple you must have taken a great deal of patience.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Sat May 06, 2017 12:02 pm

LindaShorey wrote:What a fascinating labor of love and interest. I'm enthralled by your single-minded ability to follow through with this project. I suspect this must be how you are with all of life: no QUIT in Martha! Oh - and some mighty pretty photos too. Thanks for the topic!

Thanks! I can be quite stubborn about completing some tasks I undertake. Others like cleaning house, not so much - it's more fun tinkering with photos.