Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Places ShowcaseFarm Collection

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Farm Collection

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:27 pm
For what it’s worth,here’s my take:
Whenever I have thought to make a basically normally conceived and technically adequately produced image “more artsy” my approach has, admittedly, been to start thinking about: “ with which particular premises exercised in my production of that “technically well-produced image” “ should I begin to futz with: dof/sharpness-blur?Hues/saturation/ luminosity: b&w? Relative proportions/distortions? Crops for compositional effects in great variety? Tonal relation / contrast modifications- local or global)? What am I leaving out? I am purposefully leaving out texture overlays and compositing frankly because they rarely it ever occur to me.
I must also admit that if some “artsy” effect wasn’t previsualized before I squeezed the shutter release I’m all at sea if the impulse toward “artsy” comes on me later.
Any thoughts (other than pity for my pitifully benighted state of potential creativity...)????
Dave
I always enjoy sharing thoughts on such matters so I read your comments with interest, and confess you have a far more studied approach than I do, and probably more defensible.

Since I am an inveterate tinkerer (my grandmother used to call it “piddling”) I bring that to photography by default. I love well executed photographs, creatively or traditionally captured. I also love a wide variety of creatively edited things that might have at one time been photographs but morphed into something else. And I love to play with my photographs (I never really outgrew play, as my grandsons will attest). The best way I can describe my photography is that I use a camera to gather pixels. I may pre-imagine something I might do with them (such as the tethered sun from Nashville) I may (I did) look at that same picture later and think “what if I...), or I may take an old picture and use all or part of it in something new I’ve dreamed up, like I did with the old growth tree from Canada into which I built a stained glass door from a cemetery in New Orleans before I populated the woods with fairies.

I do believe that a properly taken image provides the best starting place for either end result: traditional photography or creative photo “art”. A bad photo can seldom be rescued with artistic inventiveness, it is still usually a bad photo.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

Thanks,Min!
I hear where you’re coming from, and am looking forward to other responses!

Dave