Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals ShowcaseSnake

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Snake

Post by Psjunkie »

Not much of an image...I've been around snakes most of my younger life..mostly rattle snakes, dozens and yes dozens, the area was thick with them, had dogs bit but luckily never me, too close too may times so I don't like any snakes anymore...first time I ever saw one climb straight up a tree.
Attachments
20200617FGS_6125-Snake.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke »

it is amazing how strong they are - once they have a muscle grip on something, you can't just pull them. I see a 4 plus foot long blacksnake once a week and have counted as many as six at the same time in my garage/workshop - I don't like snakes either, but the ones I see don't have venom in them.. (though need to keep eye out for water moccasins). I put my hand on a blacksnake by accident once when I reached to a tree branch to pull myself up a hill from a creek, that made my heart stop!! Our dogs have always been lucky snake wise, though a snapping turtle got the snout of my current dog.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Ouch....It's a wonder you got that heart started again, scary !

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Impressive fellow. He looks a lot like the one I had last year wound up in the swing chains. What kind is he?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

I think what they call chicken snake or rat snake....I dunno. I'm only expert at rattle snake and blue indigo

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:24 am
I think what they call chicken snake or rat snake....I dunno. I'm only expert at rattle snake and blue indigo
That’s what ours was too. I’m told they are good to keep around, so I didn’t do to him what I usually do to snakes, I just whipped him with a broom till he got off my porch swing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

I remember that shot..

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Ceropegia »

Amazing. Last week I heard a noise in my bedroom and checked to see what was causing it. Found the same kind snake (a rat snake) about 5 to 6 feet long stretched up the wall wrapped around a window. Rushed to get my camera, took several pictures, managed to corral it into a waste basket (it wasn't happy, kept vibrating its tail and lunging at me), removed it to my patio, and took a several more shots; then discovered I didn't have a memory card in the camera. I had been too excited to notice the camera telling me as much. It was such a huge beautiful specimen, I am sorry I wasn't able to get any photos. It was quite spectacular hanging in the window. It had apparently come in a hole that mice had been using to get in. A couple years ago, a somewhat smaller rat snake had come in the same place and slithered into my family room. That snake I did manage to photograph. I blocked up the hole at the time, but it had somehow become unblocked. One day last year I saw a rat snake and another day a black rat snake slithering across my patio along a chipmunk run and haven't seen a chipmunk since.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Ceropegia wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:51 pm
Amazing. Last week I heard a noise in my bedroom and checked to see what was causing it. Found the same kind snake (a rat snake) about 5 to 6 feet long stretched up the wall wrapped around a window. Rushed to get my camera, took several pictures, managed to corral it into a waste basket (it wasn't happy, kept vibrating its tail and lunging at me), removed it to my patio, and took a several more shots; then discovered I didn't have a memory card in the camera. I had been too excited to notice the camera telling me as much. It was such a huge beautiful specimen, I am sorry I wasn't able to get any photos. It was quite spectacular hanging in the window. It had apparently come in a hole that mice had been using to get in. A couple years ago, a somewhat smaller rat snake had come in the same place and slithered into my family room. That snake I did manage to photograph. I blocked up the hole at the time, but it had somehow become unblocked. One day last year I saw a rat snake and another day a black rat snake slithering across my patio along a chipmunk run and haven't seen a chipmunk since.
Interesting.....thanks for stopping by

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Ceropegia wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:51 pm
OMG, what a story, Their muscle strength is pretty impressive. The heart takes a pause when we mess with them!