Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals Showcaseblack capped chickadee

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

black capped chickadee

Post by PietFrancke »

post processing perhaps a little harsh, but practice is practice..
blackCappedChickADeeS.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:59 pm
post processing perhaps a little harsh, but practice is practice..

blackCappedChickADeeS.jpg
Just gorgeous Piet. I love the way you're turning birds into art. I have felt for some time that bird photography has become very limited by the emphasis on high end equipment and almost scientifically precise capture for detail in every feather and claw. Somehow these beautiful creatures have become isolated from art, and they are most amenable subjects for artistic rendering.

Keep it up!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

hey thanks Min... One thing about the processing that I am learning. I read in one of my painting books, that well lit areas are rich in detail and texture, and that darker areas (shadows) do not have such detail. So processing wise, I first bring it up in ACR and mess with lifting the shadows and lowering the highlights and then I open in photoshop. And then I go back into filters and pick ACR and I up the Detail (texture), and make the image warmer - and then I apply a luminosity mask so that the texture increase and warmth only gets applied to the bright areas. And then I go in again and for the dark parts of the image, I lower texture and apply coolness.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:13 pm
hey thanks Min... One thing about the processing that I am learning. I read in one of my painting books, that well lit areas are rich in detail and texture, and that darker areas (shadows) do not have such detail. So processing wise, I first bring it up in ACR and mess with lifting the shadows and lowering the highlights and then I open in photoshop. And then I go back into filters and pick ACR and I up the Detail (texture), and make the image warmer - and then I apply a luminosity mask so that the texture increase and warmth only gets applied to the bright areas. And then I go in again and for the dark parts of the image, I lower texture and apply coolness.
Well, it works!

Now after the holidays I’m going back to learn luminosity masks...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:59 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Well, it works!

LOL, I just bought them... google TK luminosity masks. I wish I had better artistic knowledge, I feel that with good photography, and good PS skills, applying artistic principles could produce magic.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:39 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:59 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Well, it works!

LOL, I just bought them... google TK luminosity masks. I wish I had better artistic knowledge, I feel that with good photography, and good PS skills, applying artistic principles could produce magic.
I have the masks and a rudimentary understanding of what they do, but am still pretty far from meaningful implementation.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Good reading here....and oh...about the bird..a beautiful rendering Piet, you are becoming a master of this style

Edit: In case you're not already aware you can use blend-if in Ps to apply your effect just in the highlights or shadows rather than a mask....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 am
Good reading here....and oh...about the bird..a beautiful rendering Piet, you are becoming a master of this style

Edit: In case you're not already aware you can use blend-if in Ps to apply your effect just in the highlights or shadows rather than a mask....
thanks Frank - yeah, about blend if - I don't do that too often (since masks are so easy to work with), but I need to get more comfortable with what you suggest, because it can really easily tune whatever effect you have.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Understood...