Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

Animals ShowcaseLuke's First Portfolio

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Luke's First Portfolio

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Luke is just barely 4, the youngest of the flock of grandsons. He has always been more interested in my camera than the others, though. He and I made a trip to the science museum a couple of days ago, and he wanted to take his own pictures, so I let him use my phone while i used my camera. I think he has a knack for this. His shots of the tanks were more interesting and artistic than mine, even with a phone and no photoshop. He gave up more to OOF shots and tilted horizons but I was kinda excited about it.
Attachments
voodoo (1 of 1)-6.jpg
Luke's Selfie with Turtle
voodoo (1 of 1)-5.jpg
Gator Pile
voodoo (1 of 1)-3.jpg
Fish Tank Abstracted
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:05 pm

a young protege...good series

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm

yep - awesome, I'm partial to the gator pile.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Pretty cool stuff. My favorite is that last one. Love the rays, the colors and that little turtle silhouette in the pink.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks to all! I'll pass this on to Luke. I have always hoped to lure one of them into photography. Maybe he will be the one...

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm
Thanks to all! I'll pass this on to Luke. I have always hoped to lure one of them into photography. Maybe he will be the one...
Accessibility to potential is the key to fostering creativity. Without that accessibility how can anyone experiment?

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm
Accessibility to potential is the key to fostering creativity. Without that accessibility how can anyone experiment?
Totally agree. I have given them each a camera that's suited to their own age and interests, and take them on adventures to coax them into using them. The first grader would rather take his art tablet and pencils, which is wonderful. I got him a little fuji instax so he can take pictures of things he wants to try to draw later. The third grader has a decent little Nikon point and shoot. I got Luke a Vtech kids camera for Christmas but he'd rather use my phone.

One of their favorite activities at my house is what the artistic one calls Posting Out, by which he means making some sort of creation on the computer, of photos and/or downloaded content arranged to suit the boy in question, then printed. These things get crafted into notebooks, cards, banners, glued to boxes, stuck on bulletin boards. He has got into trouble for giving his mother a heartfelt lecture on accessibility, insisting that an artist needs his materials left out, easily accessible and not put away in cupboards and drawers. She pulled rank on that one.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm
[...] He has got into trouble for giving his mother a heartfelt lecture on accessibility, insisting that an artist needs his materials left out, easily accessible and not put away in cupboards and drawers. She pulled rank on that one.

I can relate to that feeling. A compromise would be to create a little 'art station' somewhere. A small desk for all the art stuff.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm
[...] He has got into trouble for giving his mother a heartfelt lecture on accessibility, insisting that an artist needs his materials left out, easily accessible and not put away in cupboards and drawers. She pulled rank on that one.

I can relate to that feeling. A compromise would be to create a little 'art station' somewhere. A small desk for all the art stuff.
He has a stash in the trundle under his bed and another in his nightstand. He's an early riser so he does much of his art before his brothers get up. He isn't sure his mom knows they're there but she is practical enough not to look for trouble.

At our house he has a station (and that is indeed what he calls it). And in our country house he has an office all his own with lots of shelves and a huge rolltop desk with every conceivable kind of art supply all organized into the dozens of drawers and cubbyholes. He loves it. Even when it is way too cold.
Attachments
portrait (1 of 1)-6.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:55 am

Now that is awesome! :clap: