Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Animals ShowcaseBeauty in the Marsh

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Beauty in the Marsh

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:10 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 am
minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 pm
the wind is roaring and the temperature is around 18. I had to lay down and rest the lens on a rock. The wind is blowing across the bay and I am assuming that fish are being forced into the shore - all I know is we went to see the spray and saw the gulls hovering over the shoreline. Those birds must be incredibly hardy, I couldn't stand it and found myself just holding my breath - I'm glad I didn't pass out!

harsh1.jpgharsh2.jpg
You’ve done a good job of stuffing the weather conditions into the images. I feel the cold, the wind, the biting touch of the winter salt air on my fac, even the power the birds are fighting in order to stay on course. These are storytelling images, with a strong sense of place. And your weather is worse than ours, we are at least 10 degrees warmer!

thanks Min, you convinced me it was worth trying for a more artistic rendition of it hopefully not losing the story.

hungry, cold, tired,
I fight for life and honor
face always upwind
upwind.jpg
Yes! If Turner had painted birds, they might look like this! Print this one, it's a keeper!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:13 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:46 pm
wanted to share these shots for a sense of place - they were taken roughly at the same place as the "windy" shot with a shorter lens. The wind settled allowing the bay to freeze.. So I took an afternoon and an evening shot. No fish = no birds..

Tomorrow it might hit 60, which will be good for us, our water lines had frozen and just today they thawed and we had hot water. Was a near disaster, the downstairs toilet started filling and overflowing when we started using the water - Our septic was frozen too! The next couple of days should take care of that problem...

A spring project will be to strenghten these systems.

upwind2.jpg
upwind3.jpg
I feel the cold! Beautiful but deadly. The sunset is amazing.

Understand about the water, am keeping fingers crossed about my country house. Last year we had to use antifreeze in the toilet when it got like this, and the hot water heater froze, which seemed odd. We ended up having to replace it, it never recovered.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:05 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 pm
Stay off the ice Piet......nice shots..good luck with your plumbing.
I got on the ice, about 4 feet off shore and it collapsed and I got my feet wet.. Sigh.. (Piet shakes his head in dismay)..

thanks Frank - here is a shot taken Sunday morning, right before we were hit by a series of bad luck events... I drove our good car through 9 inches (or more) of flood water to get home. (it got deeper faster than I thought, and by then I was committed - backing up would have brought water up the tail pipe and I would have stalled for sure).. Starter motor is getting worked on, the rest seems OK, but dumb move by dumb guy! But I heard stories about dumber guys that get stranded on Guard Shore (the last series) by a high tide and sit in water so high that their truck seats get wet.

Snow Geese flying south. The shot was noisy and far away so a painterly approach was called for. I tried to work the warmth of the birds against the cool backdrop.
SnowGeese.jpg
Painterly works for these geese. You always make me want to revive old photos and redo them, but my painterly isn't quite as pretty as yours. I need a tutorial.

I am glad to hear that others make the same mistakes in curious exploration that I do. I am trying to be more cautious since my health scares of last year convinced me I am not invincible.

So far our flooding has not submerged the road. The fields are now rivers, and the land behind the house is a marsh. We have built a bridge to get across what used to be a branch and is now a creek, using an old fire truck ladder left behind by the previous owners and planks from a collapsed building I never knew existed. (I gave the fire truck away in the beginning but found one more ladder this past summer).

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 pm

It is rather interesting that we all have chosen somewhat isolated settings for ourselves, and we actually enjoy them! Here's the parameters of my country world. On the topo map the arrow is my house, a couple of miles from a bustling town of about 100 souls, and the red box is a loose outline of my 75 acres of woodlands and creeks. The drone photos were shot by my son this summer just before he crashed the drone into the chimney, turning it to a sad pile of metal and plastic scraps.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 9.27.53 AM.jpg
house (1 of 1)-2.jpg
house (1 of 1).jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Min, I love those aerial shots, those woods are endless and amazing!! The creek provides privacy from those on the other side. Looks like you have a couple of roads leading into the land, looks to be a treasure of ponds and woods and streams and open fields.

About processing, I liked using Nik Color Effex Pro Contrast (the color correction slider will often "blue" the sky). And then warm the birds back up and then using Viveza and a mask. And then into Topaz impressions for a painterly effect (controlled by a mask and opacity).. There was not much to the process.

About isolation... yeah, it sooths and refreshes. Me anyway...

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:42 pm
Min, I love those aerial shots, those woods are endless and amazing!! The creek provides privacy from those on the other side. Looks like you have a couple of roads leading into the land, looks to be a treasure of ponds and woods and streams and open fields.

About processing, I liked using Nik Color Effex Pro Contrast (the color correction slider will often "blue" the sky). And then warm the birds back up and then using Viveza and a mask. And then into Topaz impressions for a painterly effect (controlled by a mask and opacity).. There was not much to the process.

About isolation... yeah, it sooths and refreshes. Me anyway...
Do you have a favored painting preset in Topaz Impressions? And how do you control it's application? I'm still working on this chore. I hate the curly lines that Topaz makes when you let it run its own course.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm

no, I just load them all and pick one from the thumbnails.. No control at all, I don't mess much (if any) with the sliders. BUT, back in Photoshop, I apply a mask and/or opacity on the new Topaz Layer that I have created.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm
no, I just load them all and pick one from the thumbnails.. No control at all, I don't mess much (if any) with the sliders. BUT, back in Photoshop, I apply a mask and/or opacity on the new Topaz Layer that I have created.
I do a lot of masking when I use any painting filter, even when I do it myself rather than run a preset filter. I'm still trying to find a Topaz art scheme that doesn't create those damned curly lines. I am sure there is a way to control them.

I'm also having trouble getting Topaz Studio to launch via Photoshop, which is my preferred route. It goes into a hang that lasts till I force quit. I can access it through Lightroom, but it's a PITA to do it that way.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I do a lot of masking when I use any painting filter, even when I do it myself rather than run a preset filter. I'm still trying to find a Topaz art scheme that doesn't create those damned curly lines. I am sure there is a way to control them.

I'm also having trouble getting Topaz Studio to launch via Photoshop, which is my preferred route. It goes into a hang that lasts till I force quit. I can access it through Lightroom, but it's a PITA to do it that way.
I hear you, it Can be a Pain, and often is, particularly when the software starts getting flakey.

Heron - perhaps too dark, but it was very washed out when I began. Our process is funny sometimes, get rid of Noise, add Texture. LOL.
Heron.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:15 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am
minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

I hear you, it Can be a Pain, and often is, particularly when the software starts getting flakey.

Heron - perhaps too dark, but it was very washed out when I began. Our process is funny sometimes, get rid of Noise, add Texture. LOL. Heron.jpg
Beautiful.

But what we do is Control the texture. Noise, by and large, is a hideous texture. The ones I get or make are much more pleasing.