"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Animals ShowcaseStartling Number of Visiting Canadians

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Startling Number of Visiting Canadians

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 pm

We had a relatively warm day last week so I went to some local parks. Two of them have lakes and the lakes were covered with rafts of migrating Canada Geese, thousands of them, all honking vigorously. Shooting them on the water was not very successful (a drone would have been useful here), but periodically about half the raft, with no warning and for so discernible reason, would suddenly lift off, fly madly around (how do they not collide?), eventually settle back down to allow the other half to do the same, rinse, repeat. This I thought was the best shot I got. The raft was off to my right, out of frame, but the density of this crowd seemed the greatest and I thought the spit of land gave it scale. Every shot I got with the raft in the picture was less interesting so I'm showing only the one.
Attachments
DSC01497.EM(lr)19.jpg
1/1000 sec. f/5.6 ISO 160
MeteringMode Multi-segment
FocalLength 152.0 mm (228 mm equiv.), E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Lens
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Good timing Chuck.....

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 pm
We had a relatively warm day last week so I went to some local parks. Two of them have lakes and the lakes were covered with rafts of migrating Canada Geese, thousands of them, all honking vigorously. Shooting them on the water was not very successful (a drone would have been useful here), but periodically about half the raft, with no warning and for so discernible reason, would suddenly lift off, fly madly around (how do they not collide?), eventually settle back down to allow the other half to do the same, rinse, repeat. This I thought was the best shot I got. The raft was off to my right, out of frame, but the density of this crowd seemed the greatest and I thought the spit of land gave it scale. Every shot I got with the raft in the picture was less interesting so I'm showing only the one.

Oh WOW Chuck !!! I don't think I have ever seen that large of Canada Geese flocking together such as you have shown here. Absolutely amazing !!! I too, have no idea how they keep from colliding, but I would bet if there was a drone in the area, there would be a collision for sure. Excellent capture.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 pm

Wow, that is a LOT of birds. I like the utter madness of their zooming about. They are going all directions, it's a wonder that lake isn't covered with the bodies of stunned geese. Well spotted. Visit them again, please and give us an update. My pelicans came in groups until there were droves of them, then they all vanished at once. Love migrations!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Good timing Chuck.....
Thanks, Frank, but I must confess to using tracking focus and firing short bursts. They were milling around like a school of fish. At least they were in range. There were other flights that were maybe better but they were too far away. (N)
davechinn wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 pm
Oh WOW Chuck !!! I don't think I have ever seen that large of Canada Geese flocking together such as you have shown here. Absolutely amazing !!! I too, have no idea how they keep from colliding, but I would bet if there was a drone in the area, there would be a collision for sure. Excellent capture.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. The reason I thought of a drone was just to get some height. I was on the beach are lake level, there was nothing higher, and the great raft was probably a quarter mile away in the center of the lake, and very spread out. I thought about it and figured even if I had one a drone would have spooked them all so... (N)
minniev wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 pm
Wow, that is a LOT of birds. I like the utter madness of their zooming about. They are going all directions, it's a wonder that lake isn't covered with the bodies of stunned geese. Well spotted. Visit them again, please and give us an update. My pelicans came in groups until there were droves of them, then they all vanished at once. Love migrations!
I wished Daphne could have seen it. She'd have loved it. Eastern Nebraska is on the Sandhill Crane flyway and the time is right now. I need to find out where the best viewing places are and see if I can get there. We used to see all this birdlife in Wisconsin and Minnesota too.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:56 am

Wow, that's a lot of birds. Wow, good catch! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 pm

WOW says it all! Wow.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:18 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:56 am
Wow, that's a lot of birds. Wow, good catch! S-
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 pm
WOW says it all! Wow.
Thank you both, Steve and Piet :cheers: