Animals ShowcasePosting These for Minnie

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Posting These for Minnie

Post by rmalarz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:22 am

Yes, I was laying in the middle of a traffic lane of a highway. I did have a friend "downstream" warning cars to slow down. The snake kept following me, but did get off the roadway unharmed. So did I. Would I do that again? Probably.
--Bob
Attachments
NIKF-19860601-017.jpg
NIKF-19860601-018.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:22 am
Yes, I was laying in the middle of a traffic lane of a highway. I did have a friend "downstream" warning cars to slow down. The snake kept following me, but did get off the roadway unharmed. So did I. Would I do that again? Probably.
--Bob
I understand your approach, and admire your courage, but your friend might have thought you a little strange. My husband nearly blew a gasket when I got down on the ground to photograph this bad boy (or girl). Not a nice snake. Seven rattles.
executed (1 of 1)-3.jpg
Here are a couple of good snakes.

A dead one. Executed while crossing the Satartia bridge
executed (1 of 1).jpg
My pest control serviceman, who lives beneath my house.
executed (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Snakes are not the enemy! I'm so glad you both know this. Daphne and I were in the Badlands stopped at a roadside pullout. Some "heroes" had quite literally beaten a rattler to death, maybe stomped it when it was no longer dangerous, but people should know that poisonous snakes pretty much don't want a thing to do with anything they can't eat, and we are too big to swallow whole so that would include us (duh). Yes, they are dangerous, but mainly if you surprise one, and while rattlers do not always issue a warning rattle, they often do and that helps. When they are stretched out like these they are also less dangerous because it is harder for them to strike (although they can bite from any position). If they know you are there and don't feel especially threatened they will (of course) go on their merry way.

Min, is your pest control guy an eastern black kingsnake?
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:19 am

rmalarz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:22 am
--Bob
It looks like you're grown enough to have The Talk so here it is, they are beautiful but they can strike half their body length. You're mostly okay when they are moving, but they coil when they are scared and wow they're fast. Look Don't Touch! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:23 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 pm
I understand your approach, and admire your courage, but your friend might have thought you a little strange. My husband nearly blew a gasket when I got down on the ground to photograph this bad boy (or girl). Not a nice snake. Seven rattles.
executed (1 of 1)-3.jpg

Here are a couple of good snakes.

A dead one. Executed while crossing the Satartia bridge
executed (1 of 1).jpg
My pest control serviceman, who lives beneath my house.
executed (1 of 1)-2.jpg
The first is beautiful, the second is not venomous and the third looks like a Hognose, but I'd want to see it from the front.

And if you are ever curious, venomous snakes have triangular heads, non-venomous are the same as their bodies. All snakes have teeth and all snakes can swim, most are just trying to make a living and are helpful to the environment. Snakes are cool! S-

Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by Graham Smith » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 am

I hope you don't mind me adding this picture to the thread, it's of a British Adder? (Vipera berus) It's our only venomous snake. It's non aggressive and will only strike if it is interfered with - trodden on or picked up etc. It can get up to 3' long but that size is very rare. There have only been 10 reported fatalities in the past one hundred years.

There are only two other snake species in the UK, the grass snake and the smooth snake, the latter being very rare.
DSC_2291.jpg
Graham

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Graham Smith wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 am
I hope you don't mind me adding this picture to the thread, it's of a British Adder? (Vipera berus)
Beautiful! S-