"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Animals Showcaselunch

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

lunch

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 pm

not a great shot, was very far away and heavily cropped. I see this Northern Harrier hunting every day. I didn't think that it was eating too good, since it has been below freezing and all. So anyway, today I see it in the distance and try to get some shots, none very good - due to the angle and distance. But THEN I see that Lunch is being carried away. It kind of looks like some kind of chick (but not in January!), or maybe a sandpiper. I don't know... but I DO know that this hawk eats better than I thought it did!!
lunch.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 pm
not a great shot, was very far away and heavily cropped. I see this Northern Harrier hunting every day. I didn't think that it was eating too good, since it has been below freezing and all. So anyway, today I see it in the distance and try to get some shots, none very good - due to the angle and distance. But THEN I see that Lunch is being carried away. It kind of looks like some kind of chick (but not in January!), or maybe a sandpiper. I don't know... but I DO know that this hawk eats better than I thought it did!!

lunch.jpg
It may not be technically grand but emotionally and story wise, it’s a Grand prize winner. Powerful and heartbreaking as nature almost always is. Take this one into photoshop and work with textures. It will be frameworthy when you get done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 pm

thanks Paula - I see the heartbreaking and powerful, but it would have to be all about the victim, the hawk in this case doesn't offer much. Hey, if you have time and feel like it and could take a shot at the texture work, I would be delighted to see what you can come up with.

not too long ago, the same one, or another, I got a little better shot, but still not what I am after! This may take a long time!
hunting.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:59 pm

hunting.jpg
that last one was WAY too saturated, I think this Is better.. Seriously Paula, if you can give me some help and pointers to help out that other image, I would be very grateful.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 pm

I actually think that first image is fantastic. It may not be grand as an art photo but it's awesome as a photojournalistic image. The story isn't about the bird, it's about survival and what it takes out in the wild. This captures that story exceedingly well with this angle of view. Emphasis goes to its prey rather than the hawk itself. I think it's perfect.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 pm
I actually think that first image is fantastic. It may not be grand as an art photo but it's awesome as a photojournalistic image. The story isn't about the bird, it's about survival and what it takes out in the wild. This captures that story exceedingly well with this angle of view. Emphasis goes to its prey rather than the hawk itself. I think it's perfect.
thanks Duck, the prey looks very pathetic - broken. I appreciate your analysis/thinking on this. It always amazes me how the camera sometimes catches what the human eye was not even aware of..

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Great impact for me, Piet. As Duck mentions, it's all about the angle of view with this one.

Human responses to witnessing nature's world of hunter/hunted are so complex - I don't feel anything when I see great blue herons gulping rodents in a field, but was saddened to see a bald eagle bring a duckling to its own hungry family after I watched that duckling - calling out its distress - being swept downriver by currents.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Compassion. It's what makes us human.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm

or what makes us Wooses (sp?) in the eyes of some. No, seriously, the whole wheel of life thing sucks eggs. Life is precious, young life especially. I don't even want to go fishing. Yeah, Linda, seeing a duckling ask for help and then get taken out is hard. A few years ago I was talking to a hunter friend - not much of a friend - but he was talking about watching the life go out of a deer's eyes. It was a feeling that he claimed to like. I don't know if he was being honest or just trying to play tough guy, but I figure it is a survival gene at the least... the opposite of Empathy.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm
or what makes us Wooses (sp?) in the eyes of some. No, seriously, the whole wheel of life thing sucks eggs. Life is precious, young life especially. I don't even want to go fishing. Yeah, Linda, seeing a duckling ask for help and then get taken out is hard. A few years ago I was talking to a hunter friend - not much of a friend - but he was talking about watching the life go out of a deer's eyes. It was a feeling that he claimed to like. I don't know if he was being honest or just trying to play tough guy, but I figure it is a survival gene at the least... the opposite of Empathy.
Your first is an amazing catch, heartbreaking but the circle of life. And I agree, I understand hunting when you need to eat, I'm sure I'd be happy to kill little-bunny-foo-foo if I was hungry enough, but shooting an animal from a quarter mile away doesn't work for me. I figure there's a different gene in some, the same for your political beliefs I suspect.

I find birds frustrating, but full of hope and promise when you can get them. Your work has a beauty I hope you keep after! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"