Animals ShowcaseBugs and Flowers, Oldies but Goodies We Hope

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Bugs and Flowers, Oldies but Goodies We Hope

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 pm

I've started the Sisyphean Task of trying to reorganize thousands of photo files so that I can actually find stuff (I had it all in my head, honest...)
Attachments
DSCN5976.1.EMlr.jpg
2010, August, Nikon P5000, a pair of American Painted Ladies in the *AAahhCHOOO* goldenrod? I think? (There's a third bug in this.) This was somewhere in Wyoming wading through the snakes and being careful and there they were...
DSCN4007.EMlr.jpg
2009, August, Daphne's sister's garden. This one got worked too many times and the Big Dummy failed to keep the SOOC original. You can see artifacts in the background but I think it's still a fairly remarkable picture for a point-and-shoot.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm

aw Chuck, love that first one, yellows and greens have never looked so good. I had to re-read what you said, my first take was "reorganize thousands of photo flies... " Needless to say, it gave me a Chuckle.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm
aw Chuck, love that first one, yellows and greens have never looked so good. I had to re-read what you said, my first take was "reorganize thousands of photo flies... " Needless to say, it gave me a Chuckle.
Thanks, Piet. Yes, I am starting in on it. I actually have a "system" :rofl: . I have master folders by year and sub folders with things like "Epic Road Trip of Year" and stuff. I know where every single picture I ever took is! :lol: (If you believe that I have a line on a bridge I could sell ya...)

I decided that since getting into Lightroom it was an opportunity to try to go back and reorganize. I'm starting from the top and shoving them into collections that seem to make sense (I googled some solutions). I love the fact that there need be no actual duplication; one file can be in an infinite number of collections, so like the two above they can be collected as both bugs and flowers. It is daunting! I admit it! But I am just tired of hunting for a picture I know to an absolute certainty I made in 2009 in someplace someplace and finally find it in 2012 in someplace else. I hope that once I rough cut them into collections I can start tagging, something I have never done but now I see the value.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:58 am

I keep ignoring lightroom, but probably should use it if only to tag photos. I have a big mess, lots of folders with good stuff in them called temp, trash, birds, etc.. I can usually find some of the better ones if I was lucky and posted it online. It is hopeless for me, good luck to you with this. I admire very much what you are doing!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 am

If it helps, this is my system:

2015 -- Each year gets its own folder
|__ 2017-01-12 Short descriptor -- Every event gets its own folder labeled chronologically with a short description
|__ 2017-02-06 Another short descriptor
|__ 2017-04-00 Location description -- Multi day events are handled just a little different by grouping them in a single folder
| |__ 2017-04-22 Day one description
| |__ 2017-04-23 Day two description
|__ 2017-06-09 Studio item descriptor
|__ 2017-07-10 One more descriptor
|__ 2017-09-03 Birthday descriptor
|__ 2017-10-18 Family event descriptor -- Since it's chronological I can scan by season
|__ 2017-11-15 Event descriptor
|__ 2017-12-25 Holiday descriptor

This naming system allows me to keep my images in chronological order yet with a short description to remind me of the folder's content. This allows me to find specific folders in or out of Lightroom. If an image I am searching for was taken in the summer (for instance) I have a narrow range of dates to scan, rather than the entire list. I can also use my systems OS to search for key words against the folder names so I can do a search outside of Lightroom. Since each folder begins with a unique date, there is no worry of having the same or similar descriptors. Even if I do two events in a single day, each gets its own folder. So while the dates may be the same, the descriptors are not, avoiding conflicts. Also, as I import images into Lightroom I tag all my images with keywords in order to be able to search or group into collections through LR in the future.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Love the butterfly duo! With Elements 13 I didn't even bother to install the Organizer; my system has always been somewhat like Duck's, with descriptive folders of a "day" combined in a single month folder, and then year.

Then I started noticing that Minnie was able to put her finger on a specific subject, style or lighting condition nearly instantly :) So the idea of tags started percolating, and now I've purchased PS Elements 2018 (for my new laptop!). It has smart tags that it assigns - like Google image searchs I assume - and you can do your own. So I'll buckle down and figure it out.

Your own dedication to getting yours organized must provide the side benefit of enjoying the memories of your extensive travels with Daphne. Bittersweet at times, but I'm sure joyful as well.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Like the cool butterflies Chuck! And the bee on that Susan.

My own organization system is in Lightroom. It involves a single LR catalog, a folder for every year, within each year a folder for each month and within that a folder for any day I took photos. Today's shoot is in a folder 2018/Jan 2018/1-14-18). I import everything into LR into those folders, and keyword with descriptors like swamp, trees, winter, ice, MS, Natchez Trace (that would be a sample of one of my recent ice photos). LR remembers your words and tries to help you as you go, and there's various shortcuts to make the job go easier. Any keywords that apply to the whole shoot (such as winter) can be keyworded at import. This way I can easily search by keyword to find almost anything I've ever shot in a minute. I also use collections to keep up with projects that span a long period of time, like the dam birds, the swamp, Monhegan, grandkids, 2018 calendar, etc. I would be one frustrated old lady trying to find anythign without this system.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm
[...] I would be one frustrated old lady trying to find anything without this system.

And that's why I tell people to append a short description after the date. That acts as a memory trigger when searching outside of LR. ;)

Not disrupting your system too much, I would recommend the following;

|__ Jan 2018
|__ 1-14-18 - Short content description
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 am

Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm
[...] I would be one frustrated old lady trying to find anything without this system.

And that's why I tell people to append a short description after the date. That acts as a memory trigger when searching outside of LR. ;)

Not disrupting your system too much, I would recommend the following;

|__ Jan 2018
|__ 1-14-18 - Short content description
I can see why that would be helpful if I wanted to look stuff up outside of lightroom, but in the 10 years I've been using LR I have never had a reason to do that, or had trouble finding what I wanted inside LR. I do use a modification of that when I travel - I'll lump the whole group (2017/Oct/Scotland/10-1-17) within the month but in folders by date.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 am

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far, folks. Duck, Min, I am very pleased to learn that my system is not extremely different from yours, even though I started it all the way back in 2007 and have not fundamentally changed it: a master folder for the year, then sub folders for each "shoot." I have not kept the sub folders chronologically, preferring instead to title that subfolder something like Massive Epic To-End-All-Road-Trip of 2009, things like that. But the Massive Epic Yada doesn't tell me where in that mass is that specific bridge waterfall flower whatever that I want to retrieve. I kept that in my head which worked okay for years but any more when I want to dig out an old picture I can't remember where or when. I've even found myself absolutely sure a picture was made in a certain year in a certain place and when I finally find it, noooo, wrong year, wrong place. When we got back from THE Epic in 2014, 99 days, 16,000 miles et cetera ad yada I think I had something over 6,000 files (jpegs unfortunately but still pretty decent). The Flickr album from that trip presently has nearly 1,700 pictures edited from the original mass. If I want to go back in the files and rework a picture I know exactly where to find it, right? (I got a bridge I could sell...) Not only do I have no clue where it is among 6,000 files, they were not processed in LR so there are the original 6-ish thousand untouched jpegs, then all the processed jpegs that may need to be redone because I better now.

So KEY WORDS! I have never used them. Now I see why I need them.

But before I can retro-add keywords I need to sort all (ALL!) pictures into genera. To do that I am presently dragging them into collections. I didn't realize what collections were. I think I feared they were duplicating the files (they are not as the pictures do not even exist within Lightroom). Once I realized that I can have the same picture in umpety-ump collections I realized that a picture can also have umpety-ump classifications. For example, the butterflies in the goldenrod can be in a flower collection, a butterfly collection, a Wyoming collection, &c. That picture can also have all those keywords. The metadata tells me when it was taken and what camera took it. Any processing that is done within LR is done once and appears wherever the file is collected. I think that is waaaaaay kewl! :yay:

In that monster 2014 thing (when I get there) I will pull out all the pix from a single day or feature into its own collection, say Carlsbad Caverns. Each day can be pulled into a collection set. It will be a massive undertaking but if I can do it then I will be able to find stuff even if I haven't key worded it, plus I think once they are in discrete collections they should also be easier to bulk keyword.

Anyway that's the plan. :o :lol: