"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals ShowcaseOut to pasture

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Out to pasture

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 pm

The early morning Chuck lighting (aka back lighting) first caught my eye and prompted me to stop for a gander. Then I noticed the diminutive mirror imaging of the hillocks of snow and the posture of the grazing sheep. Then I noticed the curdling effect of tiny hooves on the snow creating a field of popcorn and cottage cheese. Yuk. So I took some photos and went home for breakfast. Matt

Sheep in snow (1 of 2).jpg
Sheep in snow (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:19 pm

I get such a kick out of your humor, Matt! And I like the overhanging foreground branches of #1 very much.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:57 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I get such a kick out of your humor, Matt! And I like the overhanging foreground branches of #1 very much.

Thanks Linda. Had to block out the sun, so the tree provided. Matt
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 pm

I like the branches in the foreground also but I tend to wonder if they might be a bit too low. I see a little bit of the hilltop at left and would like to see that line follow through a little clearer across the frame. As it is, the tangent between branch and hilltop are too close together. Raised a little would also give the sheep a little more headroom too, while still maintaining cover from the sun. But this is just conjecture, not knowing the logistics of the location.

As always, just my two bits. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:14 am

Duck wrote:I like the branches in the foreground also but I tend to wonder if they might be a bit too low. I see a little bit of the hilltop at left and would like to see that line follow through a little clearer across the frame. As it is, the tangent between branch and hilltop are too close together. Raised a little would also give the sheep a little more headroom too, while still maintaining cover from the sun. But this is just conjecture, not knowing the logistics of the location.

As you suspected, I tried a lower shot but the sun glare blew out the screen. Had to settle since I was running barely on time to take some photos at my grandson's school for a class project. May try again if the snow and sun cooperate. I have to go back because one child was out sick. They are doing a collage of their hands for a fund-raiser. Here's hoping. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Duck wrote:I like the branches in the foreground also but I tend to wonder if they might be a bit too low. I see a little bit of the hilltop at left and would like to see that line follow through a little clearer across the frame. As it is, the tangent between branch and hilltop are too close together. Raised a little would also give the sheep a little more headroom too, while still maintaining cover from the sun. But this is just conjecture, not knowing the logistics of the location.

Duck, Another shot. I played around with the tone curve. Fun. Looks darker in pM than in LR on my monitor. ? Matt

Sheep looking (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:34 pm

I recall making a coment about your images looking under exposed a while back, leading me to think you may have the brightness level too high on your monitor. Now that you have mentioned that your Lightroom edit image looks brighter than your exported JPG image on the same monitor then I am thinking it is a color space issue.

Lightroom is able to edit in several color spaces but web browsers tend to display in one or two (typically sRGB). Looking at your EXIF it shows me you are editing in an uncalibrated color space which leads me to think you might be using the ProPhoto color space. It is a larger color space and most people don't need that. You might want to switch to display sRGB or AdobeRGB in your Lightroom settings. This should solve that issue for you.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Duck wrote:I recall making a coment about your images looking under exposed a while back, leading me to think you may have the brightness level too high on your monitor. Now that you have mentioned that your Lightroom edit image looks brighter than your exported JPG image on the same monitor then I am thinking it is a color space issue.

Lightroom is able to edit in several color spaces but web browsers tend to display in one or two (typically sRGB). Looking at your EXIF it shows me you are editing in an uncalibrated color space which leads me to think you might be using the ProPhoto color space. It is a larger color space and most people don't need that. You might want to switch to display sRGB or AdobeRGB in your Lightroom settings. This should solve that issue for you.

Duck,

Changed from ProPhoto to sRGB. Looks better already. Many thanks. Matt
Sheep, sRGB (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes! What a difference. Looks much better. :thumbup: