"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Animals ShowcaseCity Elk

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

City Elk

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 am

In the past it was believed that the elk only migrated down inside the city limits of Loveland during the harshest of winters. Lately though the animals have learned that cohabitation with man is possible by finding protected sanctuaries within the middle of the human population This small bachelor group of bulls is actually part of a herd of about 60 animals that spends its time year round along the Thompson River drainage and the farm fields and golf courses that line it. Seeing them has become so common that locals do not even stop to watch them anymore.

The bottom 3 images were shot handheld in the last failing light of dusk with the Nikon 300 f/2.8 at 3600 - 6400 ISO whatever it took to maintain a shutter speed greater than the focal length.
Attachments
RDP_1674.jpg
RDP_1648.jpg
RDP_1647.jpg
RDP_1631.jpg
RDP_1626.jpg
RDP_1559.jpg

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm

It might take me awhile to get used to these majestic animals being in my neighborhood, though I guess they really are just another critter that chews its cud ;) But I never get tired of deer or turkeys (both in Maine and Washington), or the cedar waxwings that visit my ornamental cherry tree year after year.

Your pic #3 reminds me of a forum buddy in Canada whose garden is stripped annually by the hungry beasts.

Bobby, I saw your comment in Minnie's blue hour snow topic: I am the one who does not have photoshop :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm

I've done more than a few tattoos of elk. That last image would make for a great reference.
The story is quite interesting and hopefully people keep to a respectable distance. They can do damage if provoked.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 pm

They're just great! Considering how we yumans have encroached on pretty much everyone else's range it is heartening that some of them have adapted. In Lincoln, NE, there are complaints about coyotes making themselves at home. Red-tail hawks have for years been adapting beautifully to urban environments; I like to point them out hunting from the light poles along the freeways. Bears are making their way into cities, which of course puts them on a collision course with us and not necessarily a good thing, but I don't think we yumans should have more rights. We don't want our small dogs and cats and kids eaten by wild things, but the wild things have rights too. I feel that we all need to adapt. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:They're just great! Considering how we yumans have encroached on pretty much everyone else's range it is heartening that some of them have adapted. In Lincoln, NE, there are complaints about coyotes making themselves at home. Red-tail hawks have for years been adapting beautifully to urban environments; I like to point them out hunting from the light poles along the freeways. Bears are making their way into cities, which of course puts them on a collision course with us and not necessarily a good thing, but I don't think we yumans should have more rights. We don't want our small dogs and cats and kids eaten by wild things, but the wild things have rights too. I feel that we all need to adapt. (Y)

Yea in the case of the Elk they were a plains species before we came to the land and drove them into the mountains. It is excellent to see them slowly reclaiming lands that were theirs in the first place.

The eastern plains herd in Colorado has grown to a size that the Division of Wildlife now has a limited special draw hunting season for elk on the Colorado Eastern Plains. When I hear people who move into prime wildlife habitat and then complain about some wild critter eating Fluffy or their flowers I am quick to remind them that the critters are the ones that have lived here forever, we are the ones who are visiting. Toss a yappy little dog out in the winter and the Coyotes and Mountain Lions will thank you for providing such a great snack. Plant tulips and roses and the deer and elk will appreciate the nutritious treats.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Bobby, I saw your comment in Minnie's blue hour snow topic: I am the one who does not have photoshop :D

Got it and thanks for clarifying the mix up.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Duck wrote:I've done more than a few tattoos of elk. That last image would make for a great reference.
The story is quite interesting and hopefully people keep to a respectable distance. They can do damage if provoked.

Duck if you need refference images of Deer and Elk I have many hat are superior to this one here, just shout I will happily make them available to you

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Awesome. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:In the past it was believed that the elk only migrated down inside the city limits of Loveland during the harshest of winters. Lately though the animals have learned that cohabitation with man is possible by finding protected sanctuaries within the middle of the human population This small bachelor group of bulls is actually part of a herd of about 60 animals that spends its time year round along the Thompson River drainage and the farm fields and golf courses that line it. Seeing them has become so common that locals do not even stop to watch them anymore.

The bottom 3 images were shot handheld in the last failing light of dusk with the Nikon 300 f/2.8 at 3600 - 6400 ISO whatever it took to maintain a shutter speed greater than the focal length.

Interesting photo-story. Those are magnificent animals, and they look great against that snowy background.Town-Elk are fascinating. They become so accustomed to humans, and to being protected, they become part of the citizenry. I've photographed them in Mammoth, Banff and Jasper, helping themselves to the landscaping plantings, gardens and whatever else they fancy. My favorite grouping is the bunch that has been hanging out around the post office in Mammoth for some years. Everyone just works around them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:05 am

I've been lucky enough to see the males just in Estes Park and a herd of females further into Rocky Mountain National Park. They are magnificent! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"