"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseOtis

Our pets are our family, our best friend and companion.
- Share photos of your non-human companion with the photoMENTORIS community.
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Otis

Postby Ceropegia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 am

Otis turned 10 this month (really a guess based on the age the vet said he was when he came into my life at the end of December 2007 after I hit him with my car) so I thought I would post my favorite portrait of him taken in 2010.
Attachments
aIMG_0057cn.jpg
aIMG_0057cn.jpg (412.78 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Otis

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:57 am

Otis is so cute!
Today is the Day, a New Day.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:47 pm

he looks like a good pal

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Otis is so cute!

Thanks Ernst!
Martha

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 pm

PietFrancke wrote:he looks like a good pal

He very much is. He is my first dog. Always wanted one but my father was allergic to them. So I had cats. After my last cat died, I decided I didn't want anymore pets, I was in the 7th decade of my life and wanted the freedom to take off and roam around the country whenever the spirit moved me. However, within a month after the death of my last cat, a pack of dogs ran out in front of my car. Otis, being the last, did not make it. I could see that his leg was badly broken. Folks nearby said he was a stray they had been feeding. They told me they didn't have a vet. I was sure and later confirmed that they would shoot him. So I took him to my vet to get patched up. I had talked a friend into taking him after he recuperated, but became greatly attached to him in the four months it took for his leg to heal and decided to keep him. Luckily, he turned out to be an absolutely great dog - no bad habits, smart as a whip, knows lots of tricks, never gets into things, even when I leave him for several hours, loves everyone, barks like he will kill strangers that show up, but wouldn't harm a thing (well, except for squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and the like if he could catch them). But most of all, he is a great comfort to me in my old age.
Last edited by Ceropegia on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martha

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby PietFrancke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Ceropegia wrote:

He very much is. He is my first dog. Always wanted one but my father was allergic to them. So I had cats. After my last cat died, I decided I didn't want anymore pets, I was in the 7th decade of my life and wanted the freedom to take off and roam around the country whenever the spirit moved me. However, within a month after the death of my last cat, a pack of dogs ran out in front of my car. Otis, being the last, did not make it. I could see that his leg was badly .and he Folks nearby said he was a stray they had been feeding. They told me they didn't have a vet. I was sure and later confirmed that they would shoot him. So I took him to my vet to get patched up. I had talked a friend into taking him after he recuperated, but became greatly attached to him in the four months it took for his leg to heal and decided to keep him. Luckily, he turned out to be an absolutely great dog - no bad habits, smart as a whip, knows lots of tricks, never gets into things, even when I leave him for several hours, loves everyone, barks like he will kill strangers that show up, but wouldn't harm a thing (well, except for squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and the like if he could catch them). But most of all, he is a great comfort to me in my old age.

There are few examples, but this is one for sure where a horrible incident ended up being the best thing that could possibly have happened. Thank you for sharing this.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Otis turned 10 this month (really a guess based on the age the vet said he was when he came into my life at the end of December 2007 after I hit him with my car) so I thought I would post my favorite portrait of him taken in 2010.

Wonderful rescue story and an adorable picture. I do love a dog that has one ear up/one ear down.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 pm

A powerful, moving story of how you two found each other, and a wonderful decade of love you've enjoyed together. Sweet photo!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 am

Ceropegia wrote:

He very much is. He is my first dog. Always wanted one but my father was allergic to them. So I had cats. After my last cat died, I decided I didn't want anymore pets, I was in the 7th decade of my life and wanted the freedom to take off and roam around the country whenever the spirit moved me. However, within a month after the death of my last cat, a pack of dogs ran out in front of my car. Otis, being the last, did not make it. I could see that his leg was badly broken. Folks nearby said he was a stray they had been feeding. They told me they didn't have a vet. I was sure and later confirmed that they would shoot him. So I took him to my vet to get patched up. I had talked a friend into taking him after he recuperated, but became greatly attached to him in the four months it took for his leg to heal and decided to keep him. Luckily, he turned out to be an absolutely great dog - no bad habits, smart as a whip, knows lots of tricks, never gets into things, even when I leave him for several hours, loves everyone, barks like he will kill strangers that show up, but wouldn't harm a thing (well, except for squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and the like if he could catch them). But most of all, he is a great comfort to me in my old age.

I love backstories and am all the happier you added this, but I have to wonder who's helping who. You are blessed to have such a good friend! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:53 pm

minniev wrote:
Ceropegia wrote:Otis turned 10 this month (really a guess based on the age the vet said he was when he came into my life at the end of December 2007 after I hit him with my car) so I thought I would post my favorite portrait of him taken in 2010.

Wonderful rescue story and an adorable picture. I do love a dog that has one ear up/one ear down.

Thanks Minnie, I loved the floppy ear too, but in the last year or two it has finally stiffened up and except for the tip, now rarely flops unless Otis is very tired.
Martha

Return to “Pets & Domestic Animals”