"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals ShowcaseFollow-up to "Tension" - a skimmer water bug

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Follow-up to "Tension" - a skimmer water bug

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:45 am

Casting a very big shadow at the arboretum :D
Attachments
550629-1_p6220127_crop.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Great catch Linda....

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Casting a very big shadow at the arboretum :D

Nicely spotted and captured, Love the way the tension marks show up as shadows. Very cool capture. I think it might have even more impact with a crop on the left to focus more on Mr Bug and his unusual shadow. .
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Marvelous! There is a great interplay of light on dark/dark on light within this image.

As for cropping... there is no easy answer to any suggestions as it's all rather subjective. For me, considering I am a big fan of symmetry, I would like to see them more horizontally leveled with equal spacing around them. That would place the dividing line of the rock at an angle. Or rotate the image so the line of the rock is straighter vertically, placing the bug and its shadow on a diagonal.

Either way, placing one element in a static pose will likely enhance the dynamic pose of the other.

Just my two bits.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank you all for viewing and commenting! I like the diagonal crop idea, Duck. Will go back to play with the original, or maybe I have another already that is closer to that.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thank you all for viewing and commenting! I like the diagonal crop idea, Duck. Will go back to play with the original, or maybe I have another already that is closer to that.

It's amazing how fast one idea can lead to another here. A post, a suggestion, another, and a chance to make adjustments. I love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm

You're on a roll, Linda,
Surface tension and water refraction have played roles in three of your latest images...each fascinating in its own specific way.
Do I see a "body of work"in the offing?

I've seen images of water striders and related refractive phenomena before, but this is one of the best...if not THE best I've seen.

With a little thought the deformations of the water surface, thanks to surface tension, are perfectly explicably consistent with the refractive patterns projected underwater.....quite in contrast with the complexity of the refractions in your image of shallow water passing over pebbles.

Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 pm

uuglypher wrote:You're on a roll, Linda,
Surface tension and water refraction have played roles in three of your latest images...each fascinating in its own specific way.
Do I see a "body of work"in the offing?

I've seen images of water striders and related refractive phenomena before, but this is one of the best...if not THE best I've seen.

With a little thought the deformations of the water surface, thanks to surface tension, are perfectly explicably consistent with the refractive patterns projected underwater.....quite in contrast with the complexity of the refractions in your image of shallow water passing over pebbles.

Dave

I'm definitely enthralled by these subjects, Dave, and hope to capture a few more interesting ones to share. I appreciate your comments very much!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:55 pm

I love him. Her. Whatever. Terrific shot! I think water striders are some of the most fascinating critters there are. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I love him. Her. Whatever. Terrific shot! I think water striders are some of the most fascinating critters there are. (OK)

Thank you, Chuck! I have a lot of blurry, under-exposed shots from the main part of the pond (man-made, at the arboretum). Tomorrow I'll go above the waterfall and check the sunny area first :)