“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Animals ShowcaseThe End of the Food Chain!

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The End of the Food Chain!

Post by Didereaux » Tue May 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Speaks for itself.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Magnificent birds if you overlook a face that only a mother could love. :D They are most impressive in flight, soaring on thermals. They provide an essential service. (Kinda ugly, tho'...) :S I love how you captured the wingspread, and the dust!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Magnificent birds if you overlook a face that only a mother could love. :D They are most impressive in flight, soaring on thermals. They provide an essential service. (Kinda ugly, tho'...) :S I love how you captured the wingspread, and the dust!

Thank you!
Yes, tremendous wingspans. I think here in No Amer size goes Condor, Sandhill/whooper crane, Golden Eagle/ Bald, Turkey vulture of the soaring birds. Sandhills are my favorite though. Being from that area the Spring wasn't Spring until a hundred thousand or so Sandhills went chatting over. ;)

That dust is tall, fine, canary grass. I was right behind it trying as fast as I could to find a slot in them that did not cover the head. Wanted the blurred by the foreground wings, but wanted that 'loverly' head as clear as I could get before the sucker took off.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 am

At first I wished for a clearer view, but really you got the important parts! And reading your message to Chuck, I can well appreciate the conditions and time factor. I've never seen one with wings outstretched so beautifully.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 am

Nice shot of a beautifully ugly critter.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Magnificent birds if you overlook a face that only a mother could love. :D They are most impressive in flight, soaring on thermals. They provide an essential service. (Kinda ugly, tho'...) :S I love how you captured the wingspread, and the dust!

I've been lucky enough to see the needed-uglies up close, and have turkey vultures that find their way through town, but I've always loved seeing them basking in the morning sunshine. It's beautiful to see their impressive wings. Such magnificent birds when flying above. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"