"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseShooting BB's

Our pets are our family, our best friend and companion.
- Share photos of your non-human companion with the photoMENTORIS community.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Shooting BB's

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 01, 2017 3:59 pm

BAck in 2007 our old bBasenji-Spuds McKenzie died. HAd her for nearly 14years. Was a hoot, and definitely held a high place of honor in the family 'tree'. We did not try to immediately replace her, which so many make that mistake. You would not, nor could most upon losing a child run down to the nearest orphanage and pick out a new one. A year later Hurricane Ike arrived , wiped us out. HAd a chooice of rebuilding near the water again, or going inland....we chose the latter, we were just getting too old to hassle hurricanes anymore. Finally located a house to buy about 6 weeks later and then in February of 2009 I was in the local dog pound (Our neighbor was looking a a German Shepard and I told him I would look as well) Now I don't do dog pounds and rescue shelters very well. I value dogs faar more than humans and so when I get in one of those places it is all I can do to not bring every one of them home. But any way I was in one Young lady working there walked me up and down the aisles. We turned a corner and headed up the last row moving past the end cage fairly fast. But not so fast I didn't spot a pair of ears!

I went back and looked in and way back in the back laying on the concrete was the most gorgeous German Sheperd head and ears I had seen in years (I have always been a fancier of this breed). At first she didn't do anything, but I reached into my pocket and pulled out a small dog biscuit. (Now is where you will probably learn something) Against the admonishments of the girl I held it between thums and forefinge and put all three just through the chainlink. the girl was sure I was going to lose the tips of those digits. THE dog got up and slowly walked over, I could see she was quite sick. She looked up at me, then the biscuit, and slowly, carefully wrapped her lips around it and got it in her mouth. That did it. Told the girl this one is going home with me.

Took her immediately to a vet, she had kennel cough and close to dying (but not before the pound was going to implode her in their lovely decompression chambers...she had been in 8 days and they only keep an animal 10 days at this one).

Anywho got her well. And she has been all you could hoe for in one of these doge. Easily trained, got her up to about 50 words understanding. She was about a year and half to two years old when we got herso she is nearly 10 or 11 now. Enough drivel...hers some pics taken at her level. Her name is BB by the way. ')
Never shoot pets from your eye-level,,, doesn't flatter them and looks like poor snapshots.

There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Shooting BB's

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 02, 2017 1:59 am

BB looks to have a personality all her own and is defiantly part of the family!

I think you were smart to move inland. I've lived through a few typhoons and it's a nasty business. At least now you're safe from all that and found a fellow family member along the way. I'd say it was meant to be and she's adding as many years to your lives as you are to hers. I love it when you can rescue!

I love the backstory and am really engaged by the second image. Thank you so much for sharing such and important part of your lives! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Pets & Domestic Animals”