"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Animals ShowcaseWhat light does to birds...

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

What light does to birds...

Post by Didereaux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Many photographers not familiar with birds do not know how much light quality and direction affects the way the bird looks. Many mistaken ID's are simply because the light is such that the normal colors of that species are changed to something far removed. An example is this hummingbird I shot today in the back yard. Simply a slight shift in its position, and a little change in the sunlight created a different bird. Keep your eyes and mind open when shooting nature.

a few seconds later..
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 am

Didereaux wrote:Many photographers not familiar with birds do not know how much light quality and direction affects the way the bird looks. ...

Do you find this is true for everything or more specific to birds? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:Many photographers not familiar with birds do not know how much light quality and direction affects the way the bird looks. ...

Of course it applies to nearly everything, but I was specifically addressing the refraction qualities of feathers....which is what causes those color shifts. Sorry, wasn't to specific, nor clear about that in the OP. Lot of physics involved in the explanation, unlike the simple reflective qualities of the light from the surfaces of ordinary objects.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Didereaux wrote:
St3v3M wrote:

Of course it applies to nearly everything, but I was specifically addressing the refraction qualities of feathers....which is what causes those color shifts. Sorry, wasn't to specific, nor clear about that in the OP. Lot of physics involved in the explanation, unlike the simple reflective qualities of the light from the surfaces of ordinary objects.

That is interesting as I've seen feathers shift from one color to another and reflect light in different ways. Thank you so much for clarifying this for me! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 am

Excellent illustration; thanks!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt