Animals ShowcaseSpotted Salamander

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Spotted Salamander

Post by Ceropegia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:37 pm

I found this salamander under a rock in my badly neglected and overgrown front yard garden which I have been endeavoring to restore to a respectable state. Of course I had to photo it so I carefully replaced the rock and ran to get my camera. After taking a couple of photos, I removed it to some rotting wood and leaf litter in the woods not far from the garden.
Attachments
IMG_8323ax.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Ceropegia wrote:I found this salamander under a rock in my badly neglected and overgrown front yard garden which I have been endeavoring to restore to a respectable state. Of course I had to photo it so I carefully replaced the rock and ran to get my camera. After taking a couple of photos, I removed it to some rotting wood and leaf litter in the woods not far from the garden.

Glad you're back, been missing you!

What a cool little pal you found there, captured in all his glory, in his "world" of dirt and sticks. You did the right thing for him, instead of hauling him inside, but I'm sure it was tempting to kidnap such a colorful an unusual little fellow.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 am

A delightful surprise (beats black widow spiders anyway, lol)! I can't recall ever seeing a salamander in the flesh.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Ceropegia, I am guessing you have a fish pond somewhere close by. I found some salamanders in mine and once temporarily placed one into a fish pond water filled glass jar and added a rock and some algae and let the sun shine through the murk - got some cool shots of it and then back into the fish pond it went. I could easily rotate the jar around as it swam here and there. I might have to try the same with some tadpoles!!

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 am

minniev wrote:Glad you're back, been missing you!

What a cool little pal you found there, captured in all his glory, in his "world" of dirt and sticks. You did the right thing for him, instead of hauling him inside, but I'm sure it was tempting to kidnap such a colorful an unusual little fellow.

I have been very busy restoring the garden so have not spent much time on anything else lately. I was surprised at where I found it and think it is much happier in the woods. I never considered bringing it inside. I felt bad that I had to displace it and sincerely hope I did not do it harm by relocating it.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 am

LindaShorey wrote:A delightful surprise (beats black widow spiders anyway, lol)! I can't recall ever seeing a salamander in the flesh.

I am lucky if I come across one salamander a year, and even luckier if I manage to get a shot of one.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am

PietFrancke wrote:Hi Ceropegia, I am guessing you have a fish pond somewhere close by. I found some salamanders in mine and once temporarily placed one into a fish pond water filled glass jar and added a rock and some algae and let the sun shine through the murk - got some cool shots of it and then back into the fish pond it went. I could easily rotate the jar around as it swam here and there. I might have to try the same with some tadpoles!!

Your shots are stunning. Actually, I do not have a fish pond close by. My property borders two creeks, one spring fed, very clear, and fast flowing and the other much larger and more murky. But they are about 600 to 700 feet from the house which is quite a distance for a young salamander to wander (I say young, because it was rather small).

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:40 am

Ceropegia wrote:I found this salamander under a rock in my badly neglected and overgrown front yard garden which I have been endeavoring to restore to a respectable state. Of course I had to photo it so I carefully replaced the rock and ran to get my camera. After taking a couple of photos, I removed it to some rotting wood and leaf litter in the woods not far from the garden.

You know I wanted to know more about these little ones and almost found the reading as fascinating as they are! S-
- Spotted salamander
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Lovely little critter! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Ceropegia wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:Hi Ceropegia, I am guessing you have a fish pond somewhere close by. I found some salamanders in mine and once temporarily placed one into a fish pond water filled glass jar and added a rock and some algae and let the sun shine through the murk - got some cool shots of it and then back into the fish pond it went. I could easily rotate the jar around as it swam here and there. I might have to try the same with some tadpoles!!

Your shots are stunning. Actually, I do not have a fish pond close by. My property borders two creeks, one spring fed, very clear, and fast flowing and the other much larger and more murky. But they are about 600 to 700 feet from the house which is quite a distance for a young salamander to wander (I say young, because it was rather small).

Hi Martha, I wish I knew more about the beasts, but I think they were all newts at one point in their life cycle, so probably the murky slower moving creek is where they spawned. Or a small pool in the spring fed creek... As adults I'm not sure how much moisture they require, but if your area is forested, then leaves would probably do the trick. I think a couple of football fields is well within their ability, particularly if they just drift about.

You are a lucky gal, I am happy to have one creek as a border. When I put in some small fish ponds, it did not take long at all for amphibians to find it. In fact, the most awesome find by our ponds was a tiny snapping turtle (about an inch and one half in diameter). I set him back down where I found him and never saw him again - probably a good thing! Anyway, it is amazing how these tiny things move around and find what they need.