Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People Showcasemasked couch potato

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

masked couch potato

Post by PietFrancke »

feeling not a creative bone I was reading Betty Edwar's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I did the exercise where you look at your hand and start drawing the lines (but you are not allowed to look at the paper). So I listened to music and leaned back and made my scribbles. And then I took the god awful mess and started to play with it (let no scribble remain unloved)... so here is: The masked couch potato
cp.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Well done...actually looks like a hand your hand....of course you told me it was your hand

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 am
feeling not a creative bone I was reading Betty Edwar's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I did the exercise where you look at your hand and start drawing the lines (but you are not allowed to look at the paper). So I listened to music and leaned back and made my scribbles. And then I took the god awful mess and started to play with it (let no scribble remain unloved)... so here is: The masked couch potatocp.jpg
I will have to try this.

You sure did make an interesting art object out of your scribble. I see an agonized human with hands to face!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

thank you Frank and Paula. The purpose of the exercise is to shut down the verbal centers in the brain - allowing the artistic non verbal centers of the brain more space to operate. (If this works, I will try the approach on my wife!! - it might let me win more arguments that way).

Processing wise, I took the scribbles and dittoed the layer and enlarged and rotated and multiplied and filtered. I saw the eye/face and tried to make a figure out of it - with that expression of distress.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

whatever that test name is....funny I saw cupped hand, thumb to finger touch.......You can forget about winning any arguments Piet

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

To me, there is something disturbing in this image. Lurking in the scribbles is a fetus with a man's face or lice larvae on a microscope slide. Maybe even a microscopic bacteria or the dust bunny under that couch Piet mentioned...

The multiple layers do add a sense of translucency to the image, even a bit of implied motion like a vibration. Definitely alien in feeling, but not in the Geiger way. It's both repulsive and intriguing in a way. Kind of like a scab. It's ugly but something compels you to pick at it.

In any case, it's quite interesting and captivating, in a way.

Have I said, "in a way," enough? :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:30 pm
whatever that test name is....funny I saw cupped hand, thumb to finger touch.......You can forget about winning any arguments Piet
yep - not going to work. Females are vastly superior in numerous realms - and the verbal one in particular.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

Duck wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm
To me, there is something disturbing in this image. Lurking in the scribbles is a fetus with a man's face or lice larvae on a microscope slide. Maybe even a microscopic bacteria or the dust bunny under that couch Piet mentioned...

The multiple layers do add a sense of translucency to the image, even a bit of implied motion like a vibration. Definitely alien in feeling, but not in the Geiger way. It's both repulsive and intriguing in a way. Kind of like a scab. It's ugly but something compels you to pick at it.

In any case, it's quite interesting and captivating, in a way.

Have I said, "in a way," enough? :)
thank you for not driving past and for taking a look.. Alien perhaps in part because it was truly random and somewhat organic, and then the eye and hand and brain and filter algorithms attempted to apply organization and structure in a haphazard way. And I think horror has that aspect also, the idea of something out of kilter containing something recognizable - and in the opposite subtle and perhaps more horrifying way (not in this image perhaps), seeing the familiar with something out of kilter about it that you can't quite put your finger on.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

the birth of Revulsion
revulsion.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus