Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People ShowcaseWomen's Month portrait session

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Women's Month portrait session

Post by Duck » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:56 am

I am pretty active with the small community of tenants in the building my studio is in. Yeah, I run their website there too :)

Next month is women's month and I was asked to do a photo session with all the female business owners in the building in order to showcase them during the month. I thought it was a great idea. I am working with another tenant whose brainchild is this project. She wanted a group shot kind of like a Vanity Fair spread, but with a local building flair. To give you some background, the building is a little over 100 years old and is actually nine interconnected buildings that made up two factories in the past. From the seventies to now the owner, then his heirs, have worked to make this place a home for small businesses, artists and creatives. We have musicians, artists, a theater group, small manufacturers, nonprofits and more. About 32 businesses in total. Unfortunately not all the female business owners was willing to participate but we did get 11 commitments (three at the last minute).

We scheduled two sessions at two different times in order to facilitate everyone's schedules. I photographed them in small groups, preplanning the arrangement and shooting the groups in various configurations in order to give me some variety for the final assembly. I also took individual shots of all the women for use on each of their highlights. Here is the final results from the group shot.
Unitas_Photography-3160.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:19 pm

that is awesome, it looks like you guys had a blast.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:56 am
I am pretty active with the small community of tenants in the building my studio is in. Yeah, I run their website there too :)

Next month is women's month and I was asked to do a photo session with all the female business owners in the building in order to showcase them during the month. I thought it was a great idea. I am working with another tenant whose brainchild is this project. She wanted a group shot kind of like a Vanity Fair spread, but with a local building flair. To give you some background, the building is a little over 100 years old and is actually nine interconnected buildings that made up two factories in the past. From the seventies to now the owner, then his heirs, have worked to make this place a home for small businesses, artists and creatives. We have musicians, artists, a theater group, small manufacturers, nonprofits and more. About 32 businesses in total. Unfortunately not all the female business owners was willing to participate but we did get 11 commitments (three at the last minute).

We scheduled two sessions at two different times in order to facilitate everyone's schedules. I photographed them in small groups, preplanning the arrangement and shooting the groups in various configurations in order to give me some variety for the final assembly. I also took individual shots of all the women for use on each of their highlights. Here is the final results from the group shot.

Unitas_Photography-3160.jpg
What a great team-builder for the neighboring tenants! The building looks super and the groups are nicely meshed. Fantastic project that should earn you some Neighbor Points and likely some more business! It looks like your participants had fun, too, a bonus not to be underestimated.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for looking, folks. Yes, we did have a blast. Lola (the coordinator) and I were a little disappointed that there were a few women who didn't want to participate but they were in the minority. Hopefully the next time an event like this comes around they'll be more open to participating. Like any group, there is always a small core of active participants while the rest look on. The ole 80/20 rule.

I'll post the individual shots as I get them processed. Stay tuned.

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Fun stuff Duck.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 pm
Fun stuff Duck.
Thank you Ernst. Nowhere at your calibre but I try. :)