People Showcase'Gun Control vs Photo Bomb'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Gun Control vs Photo Bomb'

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 pm

A vigil was held in Cincinnati on Fountain Square the day after the tragic shooting to honor, mourn the victims. I able to attend afterwards, and alto I have captured this man previously at another location with a different sign I have come to the conclusion that he may be an activist. Different sign different event. Anyway, while I was focusing in on him for a photo, I noticed the woman to the left, but never really observed her body language until afterwards. Unbeknownst to me, she was posing for me. I didn't mind, but wished I had my aperture set to get her more in focus. Either way a photo bomb it is.
Dave
Attachments
Gun Contol vs Photo Bomb DEC_9691w.jpg
'Gun Control vs Photo Bomb'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Dave, Love it. The fellow in the middle is giving some odd hand signal, pretending he is scratching his back.

The oof effects remind me of something I saw in today's NY Times, Men's Fashion Magazine, Sept 9, 2018 -- I look at these magazines to study the photography. The opening spread of three pages contains ads for Giorgio Armani. The photos immediately caught my attention. I tried to find a link but was unable; maybe you or another pM-er, more tech-savvy than I, might be able to find and post it. The photos are very grainy, slightly out of focus and resemble mine when I don't use a tripod and wind up with camera shake. Things I also notice; the heads of two of the models are flush up against the top of the frame with no breathing room; subtle but overt leadening lines in the background; rule of thirds thrown out the window. I wonder whether this approach will become a trend.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by pop511 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:14 am

My apologies to all those Stateside, but being an out of towner. I find the idea that anyone can carry a lethal weapon offensive.
Kind regards;
ed davis

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:45 am

pop511 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:14 am
My apologies to all those Stateside, but being an out of towner. I find the idea that anyone can carry a lethal weapon offensive.
Kind regards;
I was under the impression that the US and Australia has a similar history with guns and the taming of the wilds. In the US it's the settlers moving west while in the outback it was the settlers expanding their settlements. It's interesting how the two similar starts ended up with polar attitudes towards guns. (?)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 pm
Dave, Love it. The fellow in the middle is giving some odd hand signal, pretending he is scratching his back.

The oof effects remind me of something I saw in today's NY Times, Men's Fashion Magazine, Sept 9, 2018 -- I look at these magazines to study the photography. The opening spread of three pages contains ads for Giorgio Armani. The photos immediately caught my attention. I tried to find a link but was unable; maybe you or another pM-er, more tech-savvy than I, might be able to find and post it. The photos are very grainy, slightly out of focus and resemble mine when I don't use a tripod and wind up with camera shake. Things I also notice; the heads of two of the models are flush up against the top of the frame with no breathing room; subtle but overt leadening lines in the background; rule of thirds thrown out the window. I wonder whether this approach will become a trend.

Matt

Matt, I'm sure the gentleman in the center is JUST scratching his back rather than pretending otherwise.

The oof effects are, I'm sure intentional, as this one was as well. Altho, I can only imagine what effects you saw without seeing them. Thanks for your comments.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 am

pop511 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:14 am
Kind regards;

Ed, my apologies to you as well.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:30 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 pm
A vigil was held in Cincinnati on Fountain Square the day after the tragic shooting to honor, mourn the victims. I able to attend afterwards, and alto I have captured this man previously at another location with a different sign I have come to the conclusion that he may be an activist. Different sign different event. Anyway, while I was focusing in on him for a photo, I noticed the woman to the left, but never really observed her body language until afterwards. Unbeknownst to me, she was posing for me. I didn't mind, but wished I had my aperture set to get her more in focus. Either way a photo bomb it is.
Dave
The result is a kooky, offbeat image that works well with the unfocused/gauzy look you're working with. It is a small comment on society, that we range, in such short spaces, from the silliness to the seriousness you've caught in this little frame. Well done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Duck;
Weapons of any general description are banned, but we do have gun clubs with strict controls. Such as, store pistol in a locked safe, police will also regularly check your premises.
Yes we did have a violent history
Dave;
No, you did not give offense. Nice talking to you.
Kind regards;
ed davis

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Dave, The effects on my screen, in addition to the oof, are something like a soft glow around the three people that doesn't blur the people but seems to emanate from them like a haze. Maybe it's my meds. Or my booze. No matter. Great capture. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:23 pm
Dave, The effects on my screen, in addition to the oof, are something like a soft glow around the three people that doesn't blur the people but seems to emanate from them like a haze. Maybe it's my meds. Or my booze. No matter. Great capture. Matt

Matt, I can't speak for YOUR eyes, but where this image is concerned you are seeing things correctly, so don't blame the meds or booze just yet. I added the soft glow in Topaz Lens Effect under filter diffusion. Something I have been playing around with. I need more practice for perfection that probably will never come.
Dave

David Alan Harvey