People ShowcaseBoys & Hay - How To Play Without Electronics

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Boys & Hay - How To Play Without Electronics

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 pm

My grandsons, like many kids I know, are captivated by electronics - ipads, video games, cartoons, and in my view don't get enough unstructured time to learn how to entertain themselves. Our new/old house has limited electronics and lots of free space, so it is interesting to see them there.

I was trying for a vintage kind of look. There are pictures of me, my brother, and our cousins playing very similarly with toy trucks in sand piles, with Red Ryder BeeBee guns, with hay bales, in the 50's.
Attachments
hay (1 of 1).jpg
hay (1 of 1)-3.jpg
hay (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Wonderful! Love all three but particularly taken with the first and third. And you are right: kids need this! The electronics are here to stay so there's no getting around that; the trick is going to be how to prevent outright addiction. Outdoor muddy, dirty play is one way. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm
Wonderful! Love all three but particularly taken with the first and third. And you are right: kids need this! The electronics are here to stay so there's no getting around that; the trick is going to be how to prevent outright addiction. Outdoor muddy, dirty play is one way. (Y)
Thanks Chuck. There is no substitute for freedom. Our kids of today are often so tightly scheduled that they simply don't have time for free play. I want to give mine an opportunity before they get so set in their modern ways that they don't care for freedom any more.

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi, Min,
There was a recent discussion somewhere of “evocative” images. These images must be unequivocally evocative to almost everyone of that exact period of childhood!
Love ‘em!

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 pm
Hi, Min,
There was a recent discussion somewhere of “evocative” images. These images must be unequivocally evocative to almost everyone of that exact period of childhood!
Love ‘em!

Dave
Thanks Dave. I think there is value in the play that folks of "our generation" found normal but our grandchildren find unusual.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 pm
My grandsons, like many kids I know, are captivated by electronics - ipads, video games, cartoons, and in my view don't get enough unstructured time to learn how to entertain themselves. Our new/old house has limited electronics and lots of free space, so it is interesting to see them there.

I was trying for a vintage kind of look. There are pictures of me, my brother, and our cousins playing very similarly with toy trucks in sand piles, with Red Ryder BeeBee guns, with hay bales, in the 50's.
Treasures, Minnie. Masterful B&W. What did you use for PP? #1 is my favorite.

I grew up in Brooklyn, so this is foreign to me. Playing stickball in the street, cursing at the cars that interrupted us, or stoop ball -- these are my childhood version of time in the mud. Electronics was the radio, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Jack Benny. There were 120 boys in my fourth-grade class in grade school, and 120 girls in fourth grade across the school yard. In high school, it was poker or dice on the corner near the drugstore. We had enough boys the same age to form two teams for football -- in the street with a tightly-rolled and tied copy of the NY Daily News as our "football." And girls. Yes, lots and lots of girls. All gorgeous. No regrets.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 am

I grew up in Brooklyn, so this is foreign to me. Playing stickball in the street, cursing at the cars that interrupted us, or stoop ball -- these are my childhood version of time in the mud. Electronics was the radio, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Jack Benny. There were 120 boys in my fourth-grade class in grade school, and 120 girls in fourth grade across the school yard. In high school, it was poker or dice on the corner near the drugstore. We had enough boys the same age to form two teams for football -- in the street with a tightly-rolled and tied copy of the NY Daily News as our "football." And girls. Yes, lots and lots of girls. All gorgeous. No regrets.

Matt
Thanks for sharing a window into a childhood totally different from mine but equally lost to time and change.

The PP is just plain old Lightroom. I think LR is a much better monochrome conversion tool than most people give it credit for being.

And ah, the radio! I remember it. I also remember my grandmother's first television. Neither was ever turned on till after dark when all the work was done, and dinner was over and cleaned up after. Here's the radio, which was mostly used to listen to classical orchestra music, since my grandmother had been a symphony violinist in Chicago before she went home to marry her childhood sweetheart in the boondocks of Mississippi and become a farm-wife. My son is determined to make the radio play, he has never seen or heard such a thing.
Attachments
radio (1 of 1).jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:30 pm

time trip to the past
to a place boys can be boys
welcome dirty knees

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 am

Matt
Thanks for sharing a window into a childhood totally different from mine but equally lost to time and change.

The PP is just plain old Lightroom. I think LR is a much better monochrome conversion tool than most people give it credit for being.

And ah, the radio! I remember it. I also remember my grandmother's first television. Neither was ever turned on till after dark when all the work was done, and dinner was over and cleaned up after. Here's the radio, which was mostly used to listen to classical orchestra music, since my grandmother had been a symphony violinist in Chicago before she went home to marry her childhood sweetheart in the boondocks of Mississippi and become a farm-wife. My son is determined to make the radio play, he has never seen or heard such a thing.
Is that a Philco? Ours was. And I would lie on the rug with my head near the speaker. I don't know whether your son will be able to find the tubes for the radio but someone may be able to rig up something clever. He may be disappointed at the sound, though, if it has the original speaker. Sometimes memory lane doesn't welcome a visit.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:52 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am
Is that a Philco? Ours was. And I would lie on the rug with my head near the speaker. I don't know whether your son will be able to find the tubes for the radio but someone may be able to rig up something clever. He may be disappointed at the sound, though, if it has the original speaker. Sometimes memory lane doesn't welcome a visit.

Matt
Not sure of the brand but will check. There are 3 old radios there, this being the most lavish. My son just likes tinkering whether it ever comes to anything or not. There is also another device that looks like the offspring of a radio mated with a telephone.