"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

People ShowcaseBasic Head&Shoulders

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Basic Head&Shoulders

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:28 am

Had a local lawyer come and visit for the standard Head & Shoulders Business Portrait. While I feel I met his needs I also asked for a portrait for myself.

Basic lighting set up. Main light either camera left or camera right. Reflector on either side. Light camera right for the background. Light camera left as a kicker pointed towards the subject.
Spot light camera left hitting the background behind his head. Client receives digital file of the head portrait, printed 5X7, Color and BW. $145. If he would like a copy of my personal portrait
I offer something bigger than an 8X10, BW only and of course more money. ;-)
Attachments
IMG_5375 BW 5X.jpg
IMG_5375 BW 5X.jpg (213.77 KiB) Viewed 452 times
IMG_5410 Antique.jpg
IMG_5410 Antique.jpg (191.84 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Had a local lawyer come and visit for the standard Head & Shoulders Business Portrait. While I feel I met his needs I also asked for a portrait for myself.

Basic lighting set up. Main light either camera left or camera right. Reflector on either side. Light camera right for the background. Light camera left as a kicker pointed towards the subject.
Spot light camera left hitting the background behind his head. Client receives digital file of the head portrait, printed 5X7, Color and BW. $145. If he would like a copy of my personal portrait

Excellent images Ernst !!! The first image gives me the impression of a doctor, while the 2nd image portrays the appearance of a lawyer. Just my opinion, but either way, very nice. Thanks for the lighting setup info. It's always good info for anyone to experiment for themselves and to learn.
Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Hmm, coat and tie selfie time. :lol:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:51 am

These are great portrait shots, which the client can find many uses for. I appreciate the glimpse into your business and fee structure, too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:02 am

I like the first, it's perfect, but there's something really special in the second, like you've captured his inner self! Beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:02 am

Great work as always Ernst. The first image is one he will get a lot of commercial use out of but the second one is the stellar shot and the one he should be buying. Thanks for sharing a little of the business behind the session as well. Too many photographers today just hand it all over for some minuscule sitting fee. It is very sad what the advent of accessible technology has done to a once prestigious profession.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks for the comments. Funny thing Bobby, his secretary called quite a few photographers and had a hard time finding anyone with a real studio. ;-) They all wanted the business but I can only do it outside.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:Great work as always Ernst. The first image is one he will get a lot of commercial use out of but the second one is the stellar shot and the one he should be buying. Thanks for sharing a little of the business behind the session as well. Too many photographers today just hand it all over for some minuscule sitting fee. It is very sad what the advent of accessible technology has done to a once prestigious profession.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Thanks for the comments. Funny thing Bobby, his secretary called quite a few photographers and had a hard time finding anyone with a real studio. ;-) They all wanted the business but I can only do it outside.

Wonderful, wonderful portraits, Ernst! But at the risk of going off topic I am struck by the "real studio" conundrum. We stood on the burning deck of our our real studio nearly a quarter century ago. I hung up my guns for years in gloom. I was never as good as you on my best day, Ernst, but I was a solid craftsman, but I was also the guy handing over the business for exactly that "minuscule sitting fee" and getting "the business" for it (MY but your prices are high!!). We had to take to the boats because, in point of fact, the prices were not too high (!!) but since neither of us had a clue about business, well...

24 years later I really do wonder where have all the studios gone (long time passing)? All the ones I competed with are long gone. It's just a thought, although my late bride would swat me for being obsessed (again). :(
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Charles and Ernst, yea running a studio is a non starter it would seem these days. I still have a small space I am able to set up in when I need to but for the most part the days of running 12,000 sq ft commercial studios like I had in Vegas seem to be a thing of the past. Here in Colorado it seems that most families prefer outdoor portraits but I do still advertise studio work as I am willing to pay the day fee to rent one a friend built on his property to support his own commercial food and product work.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Had a local lawyer come and visit for the standard Head & Shoulders Business Portrait. While I feel I met his needs I also asked for a portrait for myself.

Love the casual, elbow on the chair back, confiding in the jury feel of the second, Ernst. His lady friend should buy it, or he for her. I wonder what would happen if you put it in your window.

Some years ago, I had a studio portrait done as a Christmas present for my wife. The photographer was so pleased with the results, with my my permission, he entered it in a contest and won something. He also put a very big print in his window without my knowledge or permission; friends in town called my attention to it and liked it. I felt offended because it was a private gift to my wife but, more to the point, he didn't have my permission. We had a frank chat. He offered to make a similar print for me but never got around to it and it slipped my mind till years later. What do you plan to do with the one you did for yourself? Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange