"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

People ShowcaseHigh Security

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

High Security

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Columbia Mall, Columbia , MD
Columbia Mall (2 of 3).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Is this a self portrait?

That mall is full of lines and arrows and triangles. This shot is interesting because of "the fellow" watching us from atop the down arrow, but I bet you could make quite a collection of artistic shots there.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm

minniev wrote:Is this a self portrait?

That mall is full of lines and arrows and triangles. This shot is interesting because of "the fellow" watching us from atop the down arrow, but I bet you could make quite a collection of artistic shots there.

Oui, c'est moi.

A few more from that day. I will now go back with your suggestion in mind and look at the lines not the people.
In #1, I motioned with camera toward the young lady and she smiled; I took that for a yes then went in and showed it and asked if she would want me to delete it or send a copy to her. She said I could keep it but didn't need a copy since her grandfather is constantly taking photos of her. I said I could understand that and thanked her. Matt
Columbia Mall 2 (1 of 3).jpg
Columbia Mall 2 (2 of 3).jpg
Columbia Mall 2 (3 of 3).jpg
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:48 pm

These are all really, really good! I love the very unusual selfie! In this instance the perfect symmetry of the shot cleaved vertically by the post is perfect owing to the screen. The eye goes straight there, then wanders around all the leading lines and triangles and circles and moving people, finally coming back to the screen. Cool shot! Great that you spotted it!

The charming candid of the young woman in the jewelry store is precious. I'm glad you asked and glad she said yes. Strong diagonal leading line goes straight to her. Black and white works wonderfully in this one since there is no color distracting from the subject, and there is enough foreground for us to know that it is, in fact, a jewelry store. I'm inclined to think she is the employee on duty but there are no customers so she is taking a break from standing in high heels.

The other two are wonderfully abstract, wonderfully lit, and the last one echoes (who else) Gorsky, being divided into horizontal thirds.
This is some swell stuff, Matt! :yay:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:These are all really, really good! I love the very unusual selfie! In this instance the perfect symmetry of the shot cleaved vertically by the post is perfect owing to the screen. The eye goes straight there, then wanders around all the leading lines and triangles and circles and moving people, finally coming back to the screen. Cool shot! Great that you spotted it!

The charming candid of the young woman in the jewelry store is precious. I'm glad you asked and glad she said yes. Strong diagonal leading line goes straight to her. Black and white works wonderfully in this one since there is no color distracting from the subject, and there is enough foreground for us to know that it is, in fact, a jewelry store. I'm inclined to think she is the employee on duty but there are no customers so she is taking a break from standing in high heels.

The other two are wonderfully abstract, wonderfully lit, and the last one echoes (who else) Gorsky, being divided into horizontal thirds.
This is some swell stuff, Matt! :yay:

Charles, Eagle eye, keen observer, master viewer. Many thanks. Much encouragement. Very grateful. Matt
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:A few more from that day. I will now go back with your suggestion in mind and look at the lines not the people.
Headless mannequins - obviously there's an epidemic! :D Really great eye for all these engaging shots, Matt. I was wondering why I hadn't attempted at a mall in Yakima, and then I remembered I DID...about eight years ago. And within 10 minutes a security guard was at my side (I was helping an acquaintance learn her camera), saying photos were not allowed inside the mall! Have you ever experienced any issues, if not at Columbia, elsewhere?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:A few more from that day. I will now go back with your suggestion in mind and look at the lines not the people.
Headless mannequins - obviously there's an epidemic! :D Really great eye for all these engaging shots, Matt. I was wondering why I hadn't attempted at a mall in Yakima, and then I remembered I DID...about eight years ago. And within 10 minutes a security guard was at my side (I was helping an acquaintance learn her camera), saying photos were not allowed inside the mall! Have you ever experienced any issues, if not at Columbia, elsewhere?

Yes, Linda, I have been approached once while taking photos of our grandson with Santa. There was a large crowd and some of the parents must have complained, thinking I might have been taking photos of their children. The fellow was very polite. I told him I was only taking photos of our grandson and offered to show him on my camera, but he declined and asked me to stop. So I did. On other occasions, I have stopped security and asked; they gave approval as long as I didn't pester folks. I plan to go back to the Columbia Mall tomorrow and try Minnie's suggestions. My bride is taking a class on some advance knitting project, so I am free to wander.

I wonder whether you know where we live. It's in Marriottsville, exit 82 off Rte 70 East. A 55+ community that is just about full; they are paving the roads now with the final blacktop. No more construction vehicles beeping at sunrise.

You are very peripatetic -- Maine, MD, WA. Favorite place?

Matt
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I wonder whether you know where we live. It's in Marriottsville, exit 82 off Rte 70 East. A 55+ community that is just about full; they are paving the roads now with the final blacktop. No more construction vehicles beeping at sunrise.

You are very peripatetic -- Maine, MD, WA. Favorite place?

Matt

I don't recall ever visiting your neck of the woods. Frederick pretty sure, Harper's Ferry definitely, Baltimore for sure. As for my moving around, you don't know the half of it, lol. Twenty years in the Navy included nearly a decade in San Francisco Bay Area. Stepfather in USAF meant sophomore year of HS in Florida and final two years in Sacramento CA. Last tour in Navy (shortened) - Albany NY :) Favorite? Definitely NOT mid-Atlantic. If I had the $$, I'd spend summers in Maine, spring and fall in Yakima, and winters someplace warm and sunny.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Linda, Lotteries are what dreams are made for. Who knows. And then, AZ. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 am

Matt In The Sky - I like it! I really like your abstracts though, especially the backlit shape and mannequins. Did you steal these from Linda? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"