"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

People ShowcaseRainy afternoon in a mall parking lot...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Rainy afternoon in a mall parking lot...

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 pm

...while waiting for my wife. That's not her in #1.

Street?

Matt

Rainy afternoon in parking lot (1 of 3).jpg
Rainy afternoon in parking lot (2 of 3).jpg
Rainy afternoon in parking lot (3 of 3).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:06 am

Good for you in your imagination and insistence. Number 3 is an excellent street shot, very nicely composed with plenty of detail on 3 planes, lots of great texture and tone, dynamic movement, some reverse leading lines, and story.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm

minniev wrote:Good for you in your imagination and insistence. Number 3 is an excellent street shot, very nicely composed with plenty of detail on 3 planes, lots of great texture and tone, dynamic movement, some reverse leading lines, and story.

Thanks Minnie. Guess what the colors in the umbrella were. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:54 pm

#3 is a fun contrast between those prepared for the weather and not (#1). I'm reminded of what Graham said about my lady walker, and of course Minnie's super comments, that showing movement adds a great deal to the composition.

#2 is neat since it's like what I was trying with my two raindrops through glass topics. And you're going to think I'm crazy, but as I scrolled down and lost the top 1/2 of that pic, I liked it much more! Just a hint of the cars and a fast moving torso and legs through raindrops :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 pm

LindaShorey wrote:#3 is a fun contrast between those prepared for the weather and not (#1). I'm reminded of what Graham said about my lady walker, and of course Minnie's super comments, that showing movement adds a great deal to the composition.

#2 is neat since it's like what I was trying with my two raindrops through glass topics. And you're going to think I'm crazy, but as I scrolled down and lost the top 1/2 of that pic, I liked it much more! Just a hint of the cars and a fast moving torso and legs through raindrops :)

Aren't you clever! Great eye. Here's my effort. I just noticed the flow from his left shoe. I could even crop this to just below the knees. What do you think? Thanks, Linda. Matt

walker in parking lot (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Aren't you clever! Great eye. Here's my effort. I just noticed the flow from his left shoe. I could even crop this to just below the knees. What do you think? Thanks, Linda. Matt

This was what I had in mind, and isn't that cool about the water below his shoe (and he's carrying something in his left hand, too). Just below the knees would produce a different story, but could be a lot of fun, especially if you did as a series: study of walking feet. Get back out there, Matt :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:

This was what I had in mind, and isn't that cool about the water below his shoe (and he's carrying something in his left hand, too). Just below the knees would produce a different story, but could be a lot of fun, especially if you did as a series: study of walking feet. Get back out there, Matt :D

Interesting suggestion. Dedicate it to Nancy Sinatra? Matt
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:22 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Interesting suggestion. Dedicate it to Nancy Sinatra? Matt

Oh GOOD one, Matt! Snap!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:19 am

I like the second for its beauty and creativity, there's a story there, but I really like the third for its dead-on perspective on life. I especially love the implied movement in both and wonder if they would have been as beautiful if he were standing still. I really like these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:49 pm

St3v3M wrote:I like the second for its beauty and creativity, there's a story there, but I really like the third for its dead-on perspective on life. I especially love the implied movement in both and wonder if they would have been as beautiful if he were standing still. I really like these! S-

Thanks Steve. The fellow in #3 was trailing along behind his lady who had dashed ahead to their car. I had noticed them going into the store without umbrellas and waited for them to emerge, hoping they would walk pass my front windshield. I didn't want too much rain on the window, so I had the wipers going until I saw them come out, then turned them off. And, tbtg, they passed in front she, dashing, he, strolling unhurriedly with something held casually in his hand. Click. And he was gone. It was a productive way to wait for my lady. Matt
Matt Quinn