"You Are The Difference!"

People ShowcaseWife & Husband

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Wife & Husband

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:07 am

While visiting PT I noticed this couple in an architect's office window and had to take a photo. I've added a heavy paint filter (Topaz) to the image. It's on the dark side,
but not to dark, I don't think.
Attachments
CoupleinPT.jpg
CoupleinPT.jpg (290.8 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:34 pm

This reminds me of those art studies you see in museums where you keep looking hoping you'll see more. Wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:While visiting PT I noticed this couple in an architect's office window and had to take a photo. I've added a heavy paint filter (Topaz) to the image. It's on the dark side,

Ernst, I find this image puzzling and hard to understand. On my screen, the right arm appears unconnected to anything because the right side of the image is very dark and hard to perceive any detail or shape. I realize the arm doesn't belong to the woman but it seems to float. Also, the wedding ring is on the right hand, if it is a right hand and not a reversed photo of some sort. The light calls attention to it, so it seems an important detail. It says "married." The woman is looking down and to the left, away from the right arm, and almost looks sad. All in all, a puzzling image on its own, had you not mentioned they were in an architect's office. Also raises a question: how necessary is a title. I hope theses comments do not offend. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Matt;
This picture is so reminiscent of Ernst's other work. For me ( and only me ) it's a lighting study and pose of the woman and I have taken out all the other details from my mind to concentrate on that area. The flag ( if I can call it that ) across the woman's chest is something I cannot recall seeing before as it has a sharp straight line delineation angled across the chest.
Again, purists will hate her positioned facing out of the frame. Anything that breaks the mold I love. Gives a picture that more power. As does the broad lighting.
""the wedding ring is on the right hand"" Why would you think it is a wedding ring. Many men and women wear rings on the right hand.
""Also raises a question: how necessary is a title""
I suppose it has to be called something otherwise it wont get posted.

Ernst;
First time I have heard you say a picture may be too dark.... :lol:
""While visiting PT""...err where is that? I'm just a poor colonialist.

Kind regards to all and have fun;
ed
ed davis

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Matt & Ed.

Matt, Yes, they were sitting in an office looking over plans of a house or something. I was on the sidewalk and had just ran into a friend/photographer and while taking to him I kept glancing at this couple.
I knew I wanted to take a few images of them. If you could see into the shadows Matt I'm sure that might help. I see separation between the man's face and the background, some detail in the face, his eye glasses,
his ear and some detail in his hair. Someone else to talking to them and they are just comfortable. I decided I wanted him darker to maybe say something about relationships. I like the balance they both offer
in my frame. And his arm and hand for me just offers another detail. As does the detail in the far right lower corner. Then decided to add some paint to maybe offer a more pictorial style to the portrait.

Oh, "PT" is our nickname here on the Olympic Peninsula for Port Townsend. We also call Port Angeles, PA.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Thanks for the reply Matt & Ed.

Matt, Yes, they were sitting in an office looking over plans of a house or something. I was on the sidewalk and had just ran into a friend/photographer and while taking to him I kept glancing at this couple.
I knew I wanted to take a few images of them. If you could see into the shadows Matt I'm sure that might help. I see separation between the man's face and the background, some detail in the face, his eye glasses,
his ear and some detail in his hair. Someone else to talking to them and they are just comfortable. I decided I wanted him darker to maybe say something about relationships. I like the balance they both offer
in my frame. And his arm and hand for me just offers another detail. As does the detail in the far right lower corner. Then decided to add some paint to maybe offer a more pictorial style to the portrait.

Oh, "PT" is our nickname here on the Olympic Peninsula for Port Townsend. We also call Port Angeles, PA.

Ernst and Ed, Many thanks for the very thoughtful and sensitive reply. Evidently, my eyesight is fading more quickly than I had thought. (You could have said "Have your eyes examined," but didn't.) I did have an eye exam last week wherein the doctor recommended cataract surgery within 3 years. This confirms that. I can't see any detail in the right side of the frame. Perhaps I shouldn't wait three years. Missing too much. Thanks again. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:While visiting PT I noticed this couple in an architect's office window and had to take a photo. I've added a heavy paint filter (Topaz) to the image. It's on the dark side,

What I can make out of it is beautiful. I am sure I could see more in the print.Like Matt, I'm facing cataract surgery before long, and I've found it harder to make out the details of darker images.Still, the painterly approach you've taken really resonates with me. The darkness is its mystery.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones