"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People ShowcaseMUD RUN! (Really! People do this! For FUN! o.0 )

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

MUD RUN! (Really! People do this! For FUN! o.0 )

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Couldn't decide if this was sports or fambly. Decided it's fambly. My lovely DIL Erin, wife of son Matt, mother of Andromeda, did this last weekend. Three muddy miles. :S I recall having to do stuff exactly like it in the army but they never told us it was supposed to be fun so most of us just endured it, hating every second but waddyagonnado? (YES, Drill Sergeant! NO, Drill Sergeant! NO EXCUSE, Drill Sergeant!) So anyways, this was something Erin wanted to do. Yeah. So, waddyagonna do? Ya puts yer old photog-covering-the-action hat on (in my case a beloved battered old Tilley) and ya hobbles out onna course to see what's what. I used my favorite "cheat," in this case shutter priority at 1/500 with "floating" ISO. All I ever wanna do is Get The Pitcher, don't care how, just come back with pitchers or on 'em. Automation ROCKS!
DSC07714.EMlr.jpg
So this is the obligatory Before shot, start/finish behind her along with some survivors of the earlier shorter kids' run. Andi was definitely along but expressed extreme dismay at the whole idear of the thing. She's a cat. Cat-like. Well, she loves to splash in nice clean puddles of water, but mud? Not so much.

DSC07860.EMlr.jpg
This is the money shot that tells me I still got it! They had a slip'n'slide on a big mound of dirt, a huge plastic tarp they hosed when runners arrived that terminated in about 2 feet deep of runny mud. Sure, I got the splashdown and stuff but being limited to three shots here actually imposes some discipline.
If you want to see the album, this is the link.
DSC07900.EMlr.jpg
LOOK MA! I GOTS MUD IN MY TEETH!
(She looks like she genuinely enjoyed this. I cannot fathom why, but waddyagonnado? o.0 )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 pm

No doubt you still have it Chuck..well done..

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Couldn't decide if this was sports or fambly. Decided it's fambly. My lovely DIL Erin, wife of son Matt, mother of Andromeda, did this last weekend. Three muddy miles. :S I recall having to do stuff exactly like it in the army but they never told us it was supposed to be fun so most of us just endured it, hating every second but waddyagonnado? (YES, Drill Sergeant! NO, Drill Sergeant! NO EXCUSE, Drill Sergeant!) So anyways, this was something Erin wanted to do. Yeah. So, waddyagonna do? Ya puts yer old photog-covering-the-action hat on (in my case a beloved battered old Tilley) and ya hobbles out onna course to see what's what. I used my favorite "cheat," in this case shutter priority at 1/500 with "floating" ISO. All I ever wanna do is Get The Pitcher, don't care how, just come back with pitchers or on 'em. Automation ROCKS!
DSC07714.EMlr.jpg
DSC07860.EMlr.jpgIf you want to see the album, this is the link.
DSC07900.EMlr.jpg

She appears to have had a nice time. Automation worked. You got the pitchers! I should remember to do that more often.
Erich

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 pm

Great joy in Mudville. You still have the chops, pops.
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Very nice shots Chuck, you captured the moment, and her joy in it, infectious even to those of us who would NOT enjoy this activity. (She even has mud on her TEETH!) That 1/500 with floating ISO is what I use for the grandson's soccer too. It is fairly forgiving except after dark.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:51 pm

Chuck these pics are awesome!!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Psjunkie wrote:No doubt you still have it Chuck..well done..
Thank you, Frank. I'm still digging out of my black hole but every time I get out I seem to have fun. :)
ErichBrunner wrote:She appears to have had a nice time. Automation worked. You got the pitchers! I should remember to do that more often.
Erich
Thanks, Erich. I've seen countless often very contentious arguments against automation, "allowing your camera to make decisions for you," "If you're not working 100% in manual you're not a real photographer," "Manual is creative, automation is not," so on and so forth. I absolutely "get" that beginners really ought to learn manual. I agree that you can't truly grasp the exposure triad if you stick the thing in auto and blast away. But surely for those of us who worked professionally for years in days long before there was even such a miracle as autofocus (and the early autofocus was awful!) the assertion that "you can't be creative" unless shooting in all manual is ludicrous. :lol:
Matt Quinn wrote:Great joy in Mudville. You still have the chops, pops.
Thanks, Matt! I sure wish I had thought of Mudville! :lol:
minniev wrote:Very nice shots Chuck, you captured the moment, and her joy in it, infectious even to those of us who would NOT enjoy this activity. (She even has mud on her TEETH!) That 1/500 with floating ISO is what I use for the grandson's soccer too. It is fairly forgiving except after dark.
Thanks so much for taking a look with your overwhelming schedule! My Sony allows me to "cap" the auto ISO, and I usually cap it at 3200. It can go to 12800 but I find I can control the noise up to 3200 but it gets really hard beyond that, but the only time I find it going to the cap is indoor candids. Modern vibration reduction helps a lot!
PietFrancke wrote:Chuck these pics are awesome!!
Just plain Thanks, Piet! ;)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Enjoyed these very much, Chuck! Minnie's mention of "infectious joy" is perfect description of what you've shared.

When I photograph eagles and bighorn sheep, I always set the shutter speed and aperture and let the camera choose the ISO - a perfect solution IMO. I don't think I had that option on my very first dslr, but then all I had was an 18-50 mm lens and most of my photos were of flowers that weren't going anywhere anytime soon :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 pm

Charles, that looks like a lot of fun from both sides.
--Bob
Charles Haacker wrote:Couldn't decide if this was sports or fambly. Decided it's fambly. My lovely DIL Erin, wife of son Matt, mother of Andromeda, did this last weekend. Three muddy miles. :S I recall having to do stuff exactly like it in the army but they never told us it was supposed to be fun so most of us just endured it, hating every second but waddyagonnado? (YES, Drill Sergeant! NO, Drill Sergeant! NO EXCUSE, Drill Sergeant!) So anyways, this was something Erin wanted to do. Yeah. So, waddyagonna do? Ya puts yer old photog-covering-the-action hat on (in my case a beloved battered old Tilley) and ya hobbles out onna course to see what's what. I used my favorite "cheat," in this case shutter priority at 1/500 with "floating" ISO. All I ever wanna do is Get The Pitcher, don't care how, just come back with pitchers or on 'em. Automation ROCKS!
DSC07714.EMlr.jpg
DSC07860.EMlr.jpgIf you want to see the album, this is the link.
DSC07900.EMlr.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:12 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Enjoyed these very much, Chuck! Minnie's mention of "infectious joy" is perfect description of what you've shared.

When I photograph eagles and bighorn sheep, I always set the shutter speed and aperture and let the camera choose the ISO - a perfect solution IMO. I don't think I had that option on my very first dslr, but then all I had was an 18-50 mm lens and most of my photos were of flowers that weren't going anywhere anytime soon :)
Thank you, Linda. I have long considered that the sole goal is to get the picture. I know from experience (the Great Teacher) that it helps enormously to know what you are doing, but any more I think it's better in the long run for people not to have to worry so much about "did it come out?" Shooting moving subjects is still a challenge, but I think you have a lot more control than you did in film, and part of it is that we are no longer restricted to a single ISO.
rmalarz wrote:Charles, that looks like a lot of fun from both sides.
--Bob
Thanks, Bob. I absolutely would never run in the mud, but it definitely was a great fun challenge to shoot. If I were back in my prime I'd have been all over the course but now I just can't get there. :(