Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them. — A.A. Milne

People ShowcaseThe Long Road To...

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

The Long Road To...

Post by rmalarz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 am

--Bob
Attachments
D700-201020202-016.jpg
D700-201020202-016.jpg (371.76 KiB) Viewed 672 times
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:07 am

Wonderful tones Bob...

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:28 am

Thank you very much for the nice comment, Psjunkie.
--Bob
Psjunkie wrote:Wonderful tones Bob...
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4203
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:01 pm

rmalarz wrote:--Bob


This is an image that invokes emotion. It's well taken, well composed, and well presented, but its value is in the mood it conveys. I sometimes stumble onto scenes and images of this type in New Orleans though I seldom capture them well. There is a city kind of along-on-the-street-at-night that when done well can be very moving. You did well.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Thank you very much, Minnie.
--Bob
minniev wrote:
rmalarz wrote:--Bob


This is an image that invokes emotion. It's well taken, well composed, and well presented, but its value is in the mood it conveys. I sometimes stumble onto scenes and images of this type in New Orleans though I seldom capture them well. There is a city kind of along-on-the-street-at-night that when done well can be very moving. You did well.
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:22 am

Bob, This image has an ominous aspect; the person looks as if he/she has been stopped by a sound behind him/her and is waiting, listening and on alert. Although there are lights in stores, the streets seem empty; just you and the other person. Was it posed? For me, a powerful image that I would be reluctant to show. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:36 am

Matt, it pretty much was just that person and myself. I actually was walking, at a distance, behind and kept watching the scene develop while both of us continuned to walk. So, both of us were moving and it wasn't posed. I saw the potential, put the camera to my eye and continued to walk.
--Bob

Matt Quinn wrote:Bob, This image has an ominous aspect; the person looks as if he/she has been stopped by a sound behind him/her and is waiting, listening and on alert. Although there are lights in stores, the streets seem empty; just you and the other person. Was it posed? For me, a powerful image that I would be reluctant to show. Thanks. Matt
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2527
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:20 pm

What one would prefer and what one gets seem to seldom happen in situations like this. The moment comes quick and then the opportunity leaves just as quickly. Having the subject look over their shoulder would make for a stronger image but... and there's always a but, isn't there?
This scene is very enticing, in particular all the interlaced shadows from the various light sources. THe mood reminds me of a film noir style which also leads me to wonder what this scene would look like with a more cinematic treatment to it.
My only question is regarding the "China Bistro" sign you opted to keep within the frame. It seems almost irrelevant to the scene, causing me to bounce back and forth between the lone figure and the sign and ask, "why." Can you shed some insight to your decision?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Duck, you're not the first one to comment on the sign. Please understand, I was walking behind this person with the camera to my eye. I saw the sign and realized that it was a "clock". It was a way to tell the lateness of the hour. The lighting was minimal, as most stores, shops, and even the restaurant were closed for the day. Things came together just as the sign reached the top of the frame. Click.

I personally feel that had the sign been lit when I took the photo, I'd have not included it in the final "print". In fact, if the restaurant had been open, the lighting would have been entirely different and, thus, I'd probably not have taken the photo at all. Thank you for the inquiry.
--Bob
Duck wrote:What one would prefer and what one gets seem to seldom happen in situations like this. The moment comes quick and then the opportunity leaves just as quickly. Having the subject look over their shoulder would make for a stronger image but... and there's always a but, isn't there?
This scene is very enticing, in particular all the interlaced shadows from the various light sources. THe mood reminds me of a film noir style which also leads me to wonder what this scene would look like with a more cinematic treatment to it.
My only question is regarding the "China Bistro" sign you opted to keep within the frame. It seems almost irrelevant to the scene, causing me to bounce back and forth between the lone figure and the sign and ask, "why." Can you shed some insight to your decision?
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2527
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 pm

rmalarz wrote:Duck, you're not the first one to comment on the sign. Please understand, I was walking behind this person with the camera to my eye. I saw the sign and realized that it was a "clock". It was a way to tell the lateness of the hour. The lighting was minimal, as most stores, shops, and even the restaurant were closed for the day. Things came together just as the sign reached the top of the frame. Click.

I personally feel that had the sign been lit when I took the photo, I'd have not included it in the final "print". In fact, if the restaurant had been open, the lighting would have been entirely different and, thus, I'd probably not have taken the photo at all. Thank you for the inquiry.
--Bob

I understand your point about the lights changing the scene had they been on and I also understand your analogy to a clock regarding the sign. Something that didn't occur to me earlier. For me, though, not being familiar with the area, the consideration of the sign as indicator to the time of night did not play a factor into reading this image. There are other much stronger clues that give me that sense. For me, the sign above seems more like some type of artist statement (if that makes sense). The darkness and solitude of the streets and the obvious closed stores give credit to the time.

I know, I tend to read more into an image than is intended but, for the sake of expanding on a thought, I'll try to explain my thinking, that being that a photographer shows us what s/he wants us to see.

The sign, as I mentioned, doesn't appear to add any visual value to the image, at least none that I can perceive or appreciate. Meaning, the relationship between the sign, the locale and the subject don't appear to be connected. For example; had this been the back of a man in a chef's outfit we would assume he had just left the restaurant after locking up, or if this were a very famous location, etc. In that circumstance the sign becomes relevant. In this case, however, the sign seems arbitrary and not crucial to the story and had it been cropped out it would not have changed the story.

I'm not saying this is wrong, I just thought I'd elaborate on what was in my head (as scary as that can be sometimes). Thanks for indulging me.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PietFrancke and 2 guests