People ShowcaseBirthday Ice Cream!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Birthday Ice Cream!

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:37 pm

A couple more of Andromeda (Andi for short) on her birthday. Daddy (my son) makes homemade ice cream in an old fashioned churn with ice and salt. He loves to do it. He made blueberry and planned it in lieu of cake. When the time came I grabbed my Sony and made a few, as always by the light (dark) available so the shutters were on the long side but vibration reduction and experience helps a lot.
DSC05908.EM.jpg
Anticipatory Applause!
DSC05910.EM.jpg
This one is a little smeared by subject movement but I still like it for the expression of wonder on Andi's face.
DSC05911.EM.jpg
I like the literally candle-lit effect. These are actually pretty tough shots to make. I usually rely on aperture priority with "floating" ISO, in this case "capped" at 3200. The shutter was 1/20 hand held, but I've still got a pretty good hold.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Great moments captured. I love those expressions, they say it all in this photo story. Motion blur can sometimes add something, and it's true here, especially in the first one. The fact that the still items like the fork are sharp makes all the difference in motion blur looking interesting vs just looking messy. All you need to add is the final shot with the ice cream in her hair and everywhere else.

She is adorable, glad you are sharing her with us here!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:48 pm

minniev wrote:Great moments captured. I love those expressions, they say it all in this photo story. Motion blur can sometimes add something, and it's true here, especially in the first one. The fact that the still items like the fork are sharp makes all the difference in motion blur looking interesting vs just looking messy. All you need to add is the final shot with the ice cream in her hair and everywhere else.

She is adorable, glad you are sharing her with us here!

Thanks, Min! You may know that there is a whole genre of modern kid photography where they do a setup called a "Cake Smash" on the (usually) first birthday. They decorate sets, put the cake and the kid on the hopefully-well-protected floor and let 'er have at it while the photographer blazes away. Andi is a surprising kid. Below is the sequence from last year. She didn't have a whole cake-cake, just a cupcake so maybe that's why. This year she ate her ice cream with remarkable decorum. :D
ImageHoly Moly What's That?! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
ImageWhooooaaaaa! Dude! OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
ImageOh Man This is Good Stuff! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
ImageOM Nom Nom Nom!!! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
ImageBOY IS THAT EVER GOOOOOD! Thanks, guys! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Image. by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:40 pm

#1 is a fantastic moment of anticipation. Love it!! Minnie's comments re blur with some sharp are very interesting and good to remember next time I try something with slow shutter speed. That close-up smile from last year is pretty darned special.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:25 pm

The interesting thing I noticed comparing this year's and last year's images is how fast kids grow up. She is in the same chair, with the same tray and she's almost a whole head taller. :-)
Great series.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:13 am

LindaShorey wrote:#1 is a fantastic moment of anticipation. Love it!! Minnie's comments re blur with some sharp are very interesting and good to remember next time I try something with slow shutter speed. That close-up smile from last year is pretty darned special.
Thanks, Linda. I have always felt that a little motion blur was okay provided it wasn't obviously camera motion (unless deliberate for artistic effect). I am a pretty dedicated available light shooter. I have a perfectly good flash unit with a swiveling bounce head and diffusers and stuff, but I hardly ever use it. I know how to balance it with existing light so it doesn't become dominant, but I just prefer the look of the existing, especially since digital took a lot of the pain out of mixed light sources. These are shots I never would have attempted in color in film days. I'd have shot B&W Tri-X and maybe pushed to 800 (most of these were made at 3200 and I probably could have gone higher but I do make an effort to control the noise).
Duck wrote:The interesting thing I noticed comparing this year's and last year's images is how fast kids grow up. She is in the same chair, with the same tray and she's almost a whole head taller. :-)
Great series.
Thank you, Duck! Not only is she taller, but she! has! HAIR! :rofl:

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Thank you, Duck! Not only is she taller, but she! has! HAIR! :rofl:

Yes, but come on... admit it... bald babies are sooo cute! :love:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage