The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

People ShowcaseCANDIDMAN: Pre-Toddlers' Fire House Field Trip

Post Reply
User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

CANDIDMAN: Pre-Toddlers' Fire House Field Trip

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm

So Grampa (aka BopBop) was invited to go along on a field trip with granddaughter Andi's crew to visit a firehouse. I brung my camera and did my thing exactly as I have for over 40 years. I intended to make a complete picture story, with pre-toddlers gazing adoringly up at handsome rugged firefighters explaining their duties, but that was not to be inasmuch as almost the minute we got to the house the alarm came over the PA and they had to jump in their rigs and go put out an actual fire! The kids never even got to see a real fire truck because they were gone. The station chief kindly came down and escorted us around the upstairs, showing the sleeping quarters, kitchen, dining room, lounge and so forth, and I contented myself making a few candids of the kids and parents and whatnot. Here are three I think are pretty good:
DSC05174.EM.jpg
SADDLING UP: Andi's daycare has these super cool 4-toddler buggies for field trips so short legs don't get tired and cranky, and the sunshades keep them cool and prevent sunburn. That's Andi herself down right front with Daddy. The day after this picture was made she aged out of this group and stepped up to TODDLER! You can see why if you compare her size to some of the others. Sony RX10, ƒ/5.6, 8.8 mm, 1/30 "Floating" ISO 2500
DSC05184.EM.jpg
Aaaand...They're Off! The woman with the brilliant smile is not a teacher; she's a parent, volunteered to help chaperone. Sony RX10, ƒ/5.6, 21.5 mm, 1/160, "Floating" ISO 80
DSC05247.EM.jpg
That same woman with her daughter, who like Andi is aging out of this pre-toddler group to be promoted to---TODDLER! The kid graduates Summa Cum Laude from UNL in June. (Kidding) Sony RX10, ƒ/5.6, 38.4 mm, 1/100, "Floating" ISO 3200
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: swamps of East Texas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Hands down, #3 got it all - cute kid, great expression and smiling parent both colorful as a carnival.

#1 has the whole story-line!

#2 needed to have the cameraman take one daddy step to the right to get that guy in the green shirt out of the womans' head, ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am

Fun to see them all lined up, ready to go - and how unfortunate the firemen left without them. I hope you get to go on many more trips, Chuck. Documenting the ooh's and ahhh's from the kiddos could be great fun!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Didereaux wrote:Hands down, #3 got it all - cute kid, great expression and smiling parent both colorful as a carnival.

#1 has the whole story-line!

#2 needed to have the cameraman take one daddy step to the right to get that guy in the green shirt out of the womans' head, ;)
Thanks, Monte. And yer right, but grab shots is grab shots. They were all moving pretty fast. Plus I made everything at f/5.6 to have some fudge room. :)
LindaShorey wrote:Fun to see them all lined up, ready to go - and how unfortunate the firemen left without them. I hope you get to go on many more trips, Chuck. Documenting the ooh's and ahhh's from the kiddos could be great fun!
Thanks, Linda. I'm hoping so too. :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Appalachian Foothills of Northeast Alabama
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Ceropegia » Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Andi's daycare looks like a great place. Since the firehouse seems close enough to be walking distance away, perhaps they will try again and Gramps will go along and finally get the toddlers gazing adoringly up at handsome rugged firefighters and their big fire engines. Clearly the day was not a total loss, you got some lovely pictures.

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 25, 2017 2:25 am

Ceropegia wrote:Andi's daycare looks like a great place. Since the firehouse seems close enough to be walking distance away, perhaps they will try again and Gramps will go along and finally get the toddlers gazing adoringly up at handsome rugged firefighters and their big fire engines. Clearly the day was not a total loss, you got some lovely pictures.

Thank you, Martha. I'm pretty sure the firehouse is a regular field trip for all the age groups so I bet I'll get more than one other chance. There is also some question how much the pre-toddler's would have gotten out of it anyway. Many are not yet verbal (Andi herself at 2 is only just now beginning to speak and understand even though she is very bright). A lot of the kids were just wide-eyed-bowled-over in the big engine bay, and a few were frightened at being in a big, strange, noisy place. So it goes. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4096
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 am

Charles Haacker wrote:So Grampa (aka BopBop) was invited to go along on a field trip with granddaughter Andi's crew to visit a firehouse. I brung my camera and did my thing exactly as I have for over 40 years. I intended to make a complete picture story, with pre-toddlers gazing adoringly up at handsome rugged firefighters explaining their duties, but that was not to be inasmuch as almost the minute we got to the house the alarm came over the PA and they had to jump in their rigs and go put out an actual fire! The kids never even got to see a real fire truck because they were gone. The station chief kindly came down and escorted us around the upstairs, showing the sleeping quarters, kitchen, dining room, lounge and so forth, and I contented myself making a few candids of the kids and parents and whatnot. Here are three I think are pretty good:

Nothing better than a field-trip! Thank you for sharing these with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

St3v3M wrote:Nothing better than a field-trip! Thank you for sharing these with us! S-

Thanks, Steve! :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests