Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People ShowcaseMisc. Graduation photos

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Misc. Graduation photos

Post by TomCofer »

My daughter graduated from high school on Sunday. Here are a few shots from the event.

Family friends
TC150517-428.jpg

TC150517-431b.jpg
TC150517-431b.jpg (157.38 KiB) Viewed 747 times

Fallon n friend
TC150517-419.jpg
TC150517-419.jpg (153.57 KiB) Viewed 747 times

High Five
TC150516-196.jpg
TC150516-196.jpg (143.45 KiB) Viewed 747 times

Happy girl!
TC150516-126c.jpg
TC150516-126c.jpg (179.54 KiB) Viewed 747 times

Headed in for the event
TC150516-35.jpg

TC150516-30b.jpg
TC150516-30b.jpg (154.38 KiB) Viewed 747 times

Shooting in the gym is always a challenge. there are a couple different types of lights in the place, so the white balance varies a lot. the high ISO's was a bit of a battle to deal with in post. Many of the shots were taken at a fairly long distance and cropped too.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by tsilva »

these conditions are why the school hired a "professional" j/k Tom!!!!

You did good considering everything (OK) I hate to think what the hired photog got with her gear...

Thanks for sharing and congratulations to your daughter and the other graduates :thumbup:

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer »

:D Thanks Tony!

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Nice captures considering the conditions.

The one of your daughter and her friend look as if they could both be sisters, they look so much alike. Did you use any flash for this one?

I'm also not digging the photobomber behind them... creepy jerk! ;)

The High Five is great. Captures the mood of the event nicely.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer »

Duck wrote:Nice captures considering the conditions.

The one of your daughter and her friend look as if they could both be sisters, they look so much alike. Did you use any flash for this one?

I'm also not digging the photobomber behind them... creepy jerk! ;)

The High Five is great. Captures the mood of the event nicely.

Thanks Duck,
The two of them have been pretty tight since 1st grade. They competed with and against each other in various sports and school activities throughout the years.

I had to go back and look at the file, 'cause I honestly did not remember if I had a flash on for the shot or not. I was running around with two cropped sensor cameras. One had a 28-75mm and on-camera flash, the other had a 55-250mm. At times I had the flash on and others not. In this case, it was off and it was all environmental lighting. There was a combination of sunlight and florescent light behind them, and then an unpleasant mix of lights in the gym itself. the gym had some high windows that let in natural sunlight, but then it had two different types of high output ceiling lights. It'd be interesting to go back, take shots of a subject in various locations inside the room, and keep the same white balance settings on all the shots. Very few would have the same "look". I believe some of the lights were florescent and others perhaps halogen. It all called for a lot of playing/adjusting in Lightroom. Most, I still could not get a white balance that I was happy with.

I didn't even notice the photobomber until I had it on my computer screen. I found it annoying, but Fallon got a kick out of it since he is a classmate and fellow grad. Here is another shot of the two of 'em.
TC150517-420.jpg
TC150517-420.jpg (145.53 KiB) Viewed 737 times

I wish I could have been in a better position and have gotten more shots of the "High Five". The young lady and her boyfriend had huge grins on their faces. Her mother really liked that shot and this one.
TC150516-197.jpg
TC150516-197.jpg (147.85 KiB) Viewed 737 times

Her mother and father are fantastic people. During their first Girl Scout meeting, the troop was planning a mother-daughter (only) camp out. My daughter's eyes were welled up with tears when they were talking about it. The girl's mother, then barely an acquaintance, came up to Fallon, gave her a hug, and told her, "I'll be your mother for the camp out if you'd like." Over the years since, she has filled in as a generically adopted mom for Fallon many times. She does the job quite well, being the mother of 5 daughters. :) I am so very lucky and blessed to have so much help from other parents and teachers over the years while raising her.

Sorry, I didn't intend to have quite such a long winded response to your post. What can I say? My daughter is my life.

thcofer@charter.net